Horse camping at Council Bluff

A discussion group just for equestrians

Horse camping at Council Bluff

Postby laforbes » Fri May 18, 2007 9:12 am

Does anyone know if horse camping is allowed at Council Bluff?

Is there a staging area at Council Bluff to park trailers?

Linda Forbes
laforbes

Postby John » Fri May 18, 2007 2:42 pm

You can contact the USFS Potosi office at (573) 438-5427 for an official reply, but as I remember the campground does not permit horses. Also, the loop trail around the lake was established for foot/bike traffic only.

Just outside the entrance to Council Bluff Recreation Area, about 1/4 mile south on Highway DD on the west side of the road is an unofficial trailhead to the Trace Creek section of the Ozark Trail that is used quite a bit for equestrian access. There is a wide-open area that will accommodate large trailers.
John

Postby jallen » Thu May 29, 2008 9:48 pm

John's right. Horse riding is not allowed on council bluff trail. But there are many trails very near it that does.

Just a quarter of a mile from an area south of Council Bluff Lake where the town "Enough" used to be (now underwater) is the trailhead for Bell Mountain Wilderness where they do allow horses.

The only thing to keep in mind is tha tthere isn't many spots to get water for the horses.. except for seasonal Joe's Creek on the north fork loop of the Bell Mountain wilderness trail.
jallen

Postby jallen » Thu May 29, 2008 9:50 pm

I hasten to mention being a horse farmer myself.. that the bell mountain wilderness trail (at least the trailhead nearest council bluff lake South) is just a small gravel parking area. You could fit a trailer in there if there's not many people parked there.
jallen

Postby laforbes » Fri May 30, 2008 8:34 am

Thanks for the info.
laforbes

Return to Equestrian Talk