Any Riders Out There?

A discussion group just for equestrians

Any Riders Out There?

Postby laforbes » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:22 am

Just curious if there are any other members besides myself and Melissa who are members that are equestrians.
Linda F
laforbes

Postby John » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:38 pm

Allison from St. Clair will be joining the group next week (she's off to a conference as I write). She's the the President of the Show-Me Missouri BackCountry Horsemen and is a big supporter of the trail. Besides organizing some good maintenance outings she's scheduled a building session on May 4th and a crew leader session on May 5th.

We've had about a dozen equestrians join the OTA in the past few months. As this forum is relatively new, it will take a short while for people to find it and join up. With time this portion of the forum will grow, so hang in there, Linda!
John

We Love to ride the Ozark Trail

Postby trailrider » Wed May 02, 2007 9:12 am

Hello, We love to ride the Ozark Trail. Our local chapter Indian Trails Chapter Show-Me Missouri Back Country Horsemen has adopted the part of the OT that leads up to Bell Mountain. We are wanting to do a several day pack trip on the OT, but have not figured out where we can put in and go for a couple of days, yet. What area do you ride in?
Allison
trailrider

Postby laforbes » Wed May 02, 2007 11:30 am

Just this past year we've been riding the OT and trying to figure out where to put in and start. So far, we've done lots of the Courtois Section and about half of the Trace Creek Section.
Last weekend we camped at Hazel Creek Campground and rode the OT to the south the first day about to the point of Delbridge Rd. and then turned around back to camp.
The second day we headed north out of the campground for about 3 hours before we headed back to camp.
Hazel Creek Campground is a wonderful place to camp with horses. They have posts set up in a line right along the creek where you can use tie ropes. It worked out fantastic.
The campground has got creek water for the horses but no drinking water for us. No electricity. It has a clean no-flush toilet.
The trail is in great shape. We'll be doing a trip report here soon.
The flies were really bad. I'd recommend bringing a fly mask for the horse.
We're trying to ride the entire OT and are planning where to park and stage our areas to get this done. We're thinking maybe next trip will be camping at Council Bluff and riding the southern portion of the Trace Creek Section. We're still planning.
I'll have to check out the Bell Mountain Area in my book.
It's good to know other equestrians are members of the OTA.
We just recently named our group the Ozark Rough Riders. It's just a group of friends and our daughters. We are 9 members strong! We all ride gaited, and we're having a blast!
Linda
laforbes

Postby jallen » Thu May 29, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi. I live on a modest horse farm near Irondale, which is very near many of the equestrian trails. While I don't ride very much (I leave that to my wife... I'm the one that grows, harvests and stocks all the hay instead. hehehe)

I am however a backpacker and a mountain biker.. and I do see quite a number of equestrians on the trails, so you are definitely not alone. :) I'm always very happy to run across you folks and see the kinship you have with your horses. I understand horses being in close proximity to them every day, I just simply don't ride...so therefore to me, they're like big big adorable dogs. :-)
jallen

Postby jallen » Thu May 29, 2008 10:00 pm

[quote="laforbes" We all ride gaited, and we're having a blast!
Linda[/quote]

What do you ride? If I venture a guess. .MO Fox Trotter or TN Walkers? My parents used to be one of the largest breeders of Rocky Mountain Horses in Missouri. I think gaited horses are totally the way to go when it comes to riding a long distance comfortably for the rider AND the horse on the trail.. they so excel at that.
jallen

Postby laforbes » Fri May 30, 2008 9:23 am

I'd love to meet you and your wife, maybe at John Roth's beach party??
Maybe we could even plan a ride.

I ride Mo Fox Trotter, my daughter Tennessee Walker, I have a great little Paso Fino who is a fun ride but I can't catch her. My friends ride Walker, Fox Trotters, Spotted Saddle Horse.

The Mountain horses are beautiful. Never had the chance to ride one.

Hope to meet you soon.

Linda
laforbes

Return to Equestrian Talk