OLzark Trail Endurance Ride

A discussion group just for equestrians

OLzark Trail Endurance Ride

Postby paulsidio » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:01 pm

September 17th and 18th will be the first Equine Endurance Ride on the Ozark Trail. The first day will have 25 and 50 mile rides. Day 2 will have 35/50/75 and 100 mile events. We will be using about 50 miles of the trail from the Hwy 72 and Hwy P trail head to the Hwy 32 Hwy DD Trail head. Base camp with be Brushy Creek Lodge.

Rider and volunteers are welcome.

We would like to work with other groups on trail maintenance for this section of the trail.Are there any work days scheduled for this area yet?

Paul N. Sidio
(417) 818-0210
paulsidio

Re: OLzark Trail Endurance Ride

Postby Melissa Rheinecker » Mon May 03, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi Paul,
How do I get more information on the endurance ride you mentioned. I help maintain a section of the Courtois, but do ride the trails near Brushy from time to time. I am planning a 70-80 mile pack trip leaving from Bell Mountain Wilderness in a little over a week. I understand the Trace Creek and Middle Fork Sections are in good repair. Not sure about the Karkagahne.
Melissa
Melissa R
Melissa Rheinecker

Postby paulsidio » Tue May 04, 2010 2:11 pm

We will have information on the website www.ucozark.com sometime in mid May. We are headed there tomorrow, May 5th to pre-ride the 50 miles we will use for the ride. I will post trail conditions after we get back.

Paul
paulsidio

Postby krisswanson » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:24 pm

Is this endurance ride going to happen on this segment of trail? It was pot holed by the 2009 wind storm and is pretty rough for racing a horse.
krisswanson

Postby paulsidio » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:41 pm

We are not really "racing". Our sport is Endurance Riding. We do cover a lot of ground during a ride, but the average pace of most riders is only 6-7 mph. We have re-routed some of our ride due to trail conditions. Specifically from Sutton Bluff south to County Road 862. We will not be on the Ozark Trail there, but will be using county roads. That part was still impassable in places. Myself and Russell Martin did a lot of work there a few weeks ago, but there were sections we did not make it through. We did get about 1/2 mile west of Sutton Bluff and pulled the plug. We also went from a forest road to Bee Branch and about 3/4 past , but again quit. The other areas that still have a lot of root ball holes will be covered in daylight hours. The trail north of Hwy J did not seem to have much storm damage, and will likely be what we use for the night time part of the ride for the 75 mile and 100 mile riders.

Paul N. Sidio
Spokane MO
(417) 818-0210
paulsidio

Return to Equestrian Talk