Disappointed in Show Me MIssouri Back Country Horsemen

A discussion group just for equestrians

Disappointed in Show Me MIssouri Back Country Horsemen

Postby redrider » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:12 pm

I have recently had a few, very disappointing encounters with the Show Me Missouri Back Country Horsemen leadership or lack of. I was very excited about joining the group but have experienced a very disorganized, clique type of environment. Does anyone out there have advice on equestrian trail groups in the Ozarks? My husband and I are new to the area and are looking for a group to be involved with. Thanks.
redrider

Re: Disappointed in Show Me MIssouri Back Country Horsemen

Postby laforbes » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:41 am

Welcome to the OTA. I do ride the OT with a group of friends, but we aren't affiliated with an organization and I don't know of any personally in the area that ride the OT. Many of the local equestrians do use the trail and forest roads, and Hazel Creek Campground was a popular camping area for horsemen.

What area are you living in and what types of horses do you ride? We could maybe arrange an informal group ride.
My friends and I ride gaited, which makes it difficult for some non-gaited to keep up the pace, depending upon how you like to ride.

Hope to see you on the trail

Linda Forbes
laforbes

Re: Disappointed in Show Me MIssouri Back Country Horsemen

Postby trailrider » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:03 pm

Dear Redrider.

As President of Show-Me Missouri Back Country Horsemen I would like to apoligize for any disappointing encounters you have had with the leadership. I would like the opportunity to personally discuss these disappointing encounters that you experienced as all members are important to Show-Me Missouri Back Country Horsemen. SMMBCH is a service organization intent on protecting the heritage of equestrain trails in Missouri while educating users of public and private lands. SMMBCH offers opportunites to meet other trailriders, participate in trail maintenance and other service projects, to learn more about impact on trails and be positive force in preserving the rich heritage and contirbutions that horses and mules have made to the great state of Missouri.

"If, once in a while, man has the opportunity to flee the city, throw a diamond hitch upon a mule, and disappear into the wilderness of the covered wagon days, he is just that much more civlized than he would be without the opportunity"--Aldo Leopold

Allison Schottenhaml
Show-Me Missouri Back Country Horsemen
trailrider

Return to Equestrian Talk