New Member / Hazel Creek

A discussion group just for equestrians

New Member / Hazel Creek

Postby Sharkey » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:09 pm

Just wanted to say hello to everyone.

I have just recently discovered the beauty of the OT. I feel kind of embarassed, because I'm less than 25 miles from the trail.

Anyway my better half and I are planning a overnight trip to Hazel Creek campground,probably in early May. Plan to ride a portion of the Curtois one day and a portion of the Trace the next. We are just wondering what to expect as far as crowds, etc. This will be our first time picketing, but have been practicing at home.

Ill leave a few pics to introduce us before I go.

Sharkey

Postby John » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:20 am

Welcome, neighbor (I live on the Courtois by Berryman).

I think the Hazel Creek campground is in the process of being "decommissioned," and while it will remain open, I think the Forest Service is pulling out the latrine and might pull out tables and fire pits. You can call (573) 438-5427 and ask them for an update.

I've never seen the Hazel Creek campground full, but I've rarely seen it empty outside of winter. You'll have some company, perhaps some equestrian friends, and a good chance of ATV riders. The motorized off-road use in the nearby abandoned mining area is significant, and sometimes the rascals get on the Ozark Trail.

The trips out of Hazel Creek on the Ozark Trail are considered pretty darn nice rides. Based on traffic from the last few seasons, you're apt to see a dozen people or less a day, with a mix of hikers, bikers and equestrians.

Bass Resort is hosting the Berryman Adventure on the weekend of May 17th, and I'm not sure where they are running the race this year. If you're planning to ride on the 17th, drop me a line and I'll see if I can get a general idea of their race location.

I'll be including the entire Trace Creek section in our online trip planner by fall. You can check out rides on the Middle Fork and Karkaghne at ozarktrail.com/planner .
John

Postby Jim » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:44 am

FYI - http://www.mightymoexpedition.com/ This is the big race, expedition style. They are sure to use the OT and then some as they make their way around the National Forest and surrounding countryside.
Jim

Postby Sharkey » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:45 pm

Thanks for the reply. If I can get daycare on Feb 23, I might try to come out to the work party, build some trail and meet some folks.

I love to hike and walk also, but have pretty severe arthritis in my feet, so started riding horses. Im okay for a short trek, but anything longer kills me. End up going to the doctor and get a shot of steroids for the swelling.

Also forgot to add we were at Hazel creek campground this weekend and the bathrooms are gone. Does not bother me though. That is a beautiful little valley where it is located. Cant wait to camp, and let the creek sing me to sleep.
Sharkey

Postby laforbes » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:13 pm

Great pictures! Where were they taken?

Hazel Creek was (hopefully still is) an excellent equestrian campground. They have (or had?) picket lines already set up at the camp sites that work wonderfully. The creek is right there at the campground, which is the water source for the horses. There is no drinking water available so you'll have to bring your own.

I love riding the Trace Creek section. It's especially beautiful when the dogwoods and red bud and spring flowers are blooming. That would probably be mid-April, depending of course upon the weather.

Whenever I camp for a weekend I try to arrive Thursday to make sure I get a spot. You hate to take the trouble of planning a weekend and loading all your stuff up and end up with no spot, but that probably won't happen, but you never know!

Hope to see you at a work party or on the trail.

Linda Forbes
laforbes

Postby Sharkey » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:50 pm

laforbes wrote:Great pictures! Where were they taken?

Linda Forbes

Thanks

The pictures were taken this fall, at Whispering Pines in Jadwin. Nice campground, and stalls. Lots of trails. Just bring your GPS (their trail map looks like a 3rd grader drew it). I still have the paint, but my wife sold the big sorrell TWH. He was 16.3 hands, just too tall for her. She now rides a 14.2 Palmino.
Here is a link to our photoalbum
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v134/ ... 71/Horses/

More pictures. Did I mention I like pictures.

Look forward to seeing you on the trail sometime Linda. You will probably be passing us by, if you ride gated. I like my nice slow and mellow QH.

Brian
Sharkey

Postby laforbes » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:44 pm

Thanks for sharing the pictues. Those are some pretty horses. (good looking kids too!)
A group of us went to Whispering Pines last year. I'd like to go back. Nice trails. Luckily we ran into a lone rider on the trail who was willing to lead us into some wonderful riding. (we were lost).
My group rides gaited. I started out on QH but coudn't keep up with my gaited friend, unless I trotted, and who wants to do that for very long?
We aren't known for traveling slowly. We love to gait and run. Trace Creek has some wonderful trail for a nice speed.
I hope to see your family on the trail or a work party.

Linda
laforbes

Re: New Member / Hazel Creek

Postby tenpoun1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:43 pm

I rode a horse once but never the privilege to take one out on a hiking trail. It seems like a lot of fun and maybe I will put something like that on my bucket list some year.
tenpoun1

Re: New Member / Hazel Creek

Postby ashleyco » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:50 pm

Hope to see you at a work party or on the trail.
ashleyco

Return to Equestrian Talk