Pack Trip

A discussion group just for equestrians

Pack Trip

Postby laforbes » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:12 am

If anyone has done an overnighter on the OT with horses, I could sure use some tips. Am in the planning stages. We'll be bringing along a pack horse. Any recommendations on which section of the OT we should try for our first pack trip? We've done the Courtois and Trace section already, and am ready to ride a new section.
laforbes

Postby trailrider » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:44 am

Indian Trails Chapter Back Country Horsemen is planning a pack trip on the OT as well, we are planning to put in at Berryman and ride to Bell Mountain. This weekend we had a certified packer come to our place and give some of our interested chapter members a stock packing demo. Oct 21st at the St. Clair Saddle club he is going to be doing an eight hour stock pack clinic, if you are interested I can get you more info.
What kind of tips are you looking for packing tips or trail condition tips?
trailrider

Postby n2stitch » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:53 am

I am very interested in this information as well! You can email me privately at n2stitch at gmail dot com. Thanks!
n2stitch

Postby laforbes » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:23 pm

I'd love to have a list of essentials for an overnight pack trip, if you have one compiled.
What type of feed do you bring for the horses?
The packing situation seems so overwhelming to me.
what is the ratio of pack horse/riders?

If you could forward me information on the pack clinic in St. Clair, I'd appreciate it.

I'm planning on doing a two-day trip, possibly the Middle Fork Section.
laforbes

Return to Equestrian Talk