New Here

A discussion group just for equestrians

New Here

Postby n2stitch » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:55 am

Hi all,

My husband and I live about an hour outside of St. Louis. We ride our stock-type horses on many of Missouri trails, and have finally got a chance to ride part of the Ozark Trail. We rode a portion of both Courtois and Trace Creek. Both were in fairly good shape, with a bit of downfall to negotiate. What a beautiful trail and we look forward to riding more of it. We'll also be keeping an eye on the work party page so that we can join in.

Lalita
n2stitch

Postby ChrisS » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:11 am

Welcome to the forums!
ChrisS

Postby John » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:32 pm

We've got a sawyer looking for work... can you identify the areas that have downfall?
John

Postby n2stitch » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:11 pm

The one that sticks out in my mind the most was at these approximate coordinates on the Courtois section N 37.8533 W -91.01045, WGS84 datum.

Basically the tree trunk is across a small creek. The area to the right of the log is very boggy (when headed north), and the area just on the other side of the trunk has quite a few larger rocks. It's not to hard for a hiker to climb over, but it's a big enough tree to present a challenge to mountain bikers and horseback riders.

There is an OT diamond on the left as you approach this spot where the trail turns right and crosses the creek. There is also what looks like a trail that heads to the left, and it immediately ends on some forest roads. The creek crossing is the one just south of the Snapps Branch crossing. (South of the steeper hill up and switchbacks down, headed towards Snapps Branch.)

The rest of the downfall was less memorable. Next time I'll make sure to record the locations better. We rode for about 3-1/2 miles or so north of Hazel Creek and then turned around and went back. After lunch we rode south a bit on Trace Creek, maybe a mile and a half or so.

There are also 2 areas that have some significant erosion on the Trace Creek section. The first spot is right after crossing Hazel Creek (headed south from Hazel Creek Campground) at about N 37.83677, W -91.00581, WGS84 datum. Here the trail is a bit steep going up the end of a short ridge, but the trail is washed out and a lot of tree roots are exposed, as well as being sprinkled with medium-sized rocks. Not too tricky for a hiker, but a bit more iffy for a mountain biker or horseback rider.

The second spot is where the trail crosses an old forest road. The road runs up/down hill, and a lot of water has run down it and washed it out. The approximate coordinates are N 37.83481, W -91.006, WGS84 datum. You have to step over, into, or jump across a decent sized ditch here.

I can also provide topo maps showing the areas in question if that would be useful.

Oh, oh, oh I just remembered another spot. Shortly before we turned around to head back off the Trace Creek section (storms rolling in), there was another tree down largely blocking the trail. It wasn't just the trunk, but also the "branchy" parts of the tree that were across the trail. The approximate coordinates are N 37.82966, W -91.00527, WGS84 datum.

Let me know if I can provide any additional help with this.
n2stitch

Postby trailrider » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:54 am

Hello,

Sorry I have not had a chance to get on the forum lately, very busy.
As President of Show-Me Missouri Back Country Horsemen I would like to welcome you to Missouri Trails. We are a non-profit state organization of Back Country Horsemen of America, we are working to protect Missouri's Equestrian Trails Through Education, partnership with land management agencies and trail advocacy. We have eight chapter through out the state of Missouri and 22 State Organizations through out the US. We have organized ride and trail clean ups. We welcome you to join us. There are opportunites to meet other trailriders, participate in trail maintenance and other service projects, to learn about our impact on trails and be a positive force in preserving the rich heritage and contributions that horses and mules have made to our state.
Allison
trailrider

Postby n2stitch » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:52 am

Thanks for the welcome, Allison. :D I already am a member of BCH, I just can't remember for sure which chapter I'm in. Either Show-Me or Indian Hills. LOL
n2stitch

Postby laforbes » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:26 pm

Trailrider,

Does our organizatio have a website? I might be interested in joining up for a ride and possibly trail work.

Will you be attending the Mega Event at the Courtois?
laforbes

Postby Melissa » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:09 pm

Hi, have you checked out my post about horse camping at the Mega event on Sept 22? It would give you the opportunity to come to a work party and also ride.
Melissa

Return to Equestrian Talk