North Fork Trail Heads

A discussion group just for mountain bikers

North Fork Trail Heads

Postby hesstonj » Thu May 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Hi! I am new to OT.com...and to Mountain Biking for that matter...

I am wondering what all the actual trail heads with some kind of parking are for the North Fork portion of OT. I have been to the Devils Backbone TH, the CC TH and the Pomona TH but never have done a full run through the whole trail. I usually do an out and back run. Any information would be great!
-get out and experience something
hesstonj

Re: North Fork Trail Heads

Postby Heber » Fri May 29, 2009 2:56 pm

The easiest and most convenient is the trailhead at DD. It's just a few hundred yards (maybe less) from the intersection of DD and 32. If you are coming from 32 then it is on your right.

Although now that I say that the southern trailhead is good too, it's just harder to find because it's not near a major intersection. It's fairly new and has been recently worked on. If you are heading east on Y then it's on your right. There is a long dirt road there (I mean long for a trailhead pull off, perhaps 100 yds) and there is parking at the end.

The middle fork is famous (infamous) for hairpin turns on the switchbacks that are hard for either horses or bikes.

Keep in mind that the middle fork is closed for the time being due to storm damage.
Heber

Postby Ed Kindley » Fri May 29, 2009 4:32 pm

Note: the parking lot/TH at Hwy 32 and Nwy DD is for the Middle Fork/Trace Creek
sections of the trail, NOT the NORTH Fork. The Middle Fork is being sawed this
weekend but is currently impassable. Trace Creek south of Hwy 32 is also not yet
cleared.
If you parked at Hwy32/DD TH, you could ride northward, MiddleFork to the junction
with Trace Creek, (left) on Trace Creek and follow it all the way north to Hazel Creek CG.
Or take the Council Bluff Lake cut-off/connector trail and ride there. However, I hear
that the trail around CBLake is not totally clear.
I have no current report on the NORTH FORK, no requests for sawyers etc.
Ed Kindley

Postby smkybr » Fri May 29, 2009 5:01 pm

hesstoj,
Looks like you've found all the TH's except the TH located on AP highway called: APTrailhead. The NF Section tread should been clear of all obstructions. An outing is scheduled for the 6th of June located at Noblett Lake. We'll be cleaning the Ozark Trail and Ridge Runner Trail. It would be a good time to meet some OT adopters of the NF Section. IMO, the Ridge Runner Trail around Noblett is the mountain bikers choice of trail. Local bikers use it alot. There is a 6 mile circle and 13 mile circle. Much smoother tread than on the OT, plus camping with water.
smkybr

Postby hesstonj » Fri May 29, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks for the info! I thought I had fold most - if not all of them..Unfortunately I cannot make it on the 6th but would like to meet some of you at some point. I think I have been on some of the trails when I was in college in Ecology courses at MSU.

Thanks a lot!
-get out and experience something
hesstonj

Postby Heber » Sat May 30, 2009 10:26 am

Oops, my bad. I misread and thought you were asking about the Middle Fork trailhead. :oops:
Heber

Return to Biker Talk