Trace Creek

A discussion group just for mountain bikers

Trace Creek

Postby mao » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:09 am

Could someone please advise the conditions for Trace Creek starting at Hazel Creek Campground to the Highway DD trailhead. I have been riding the Middle Fork recently and want to explore other areas. Would you characterize the "North" Trace Creek section as similar to Middle Fork?

I have also read that the "South" Trace Creek, Highway DD to Bell Mountain is in poor condition and little used, please advise if you can. Can anyone also explain how the new MTB deregulation for Wilderness area's applies to our trails in Missouri. I assume this means we can now ride MTB's in Wilderness areas since they have been declassified. An explanation on these rules or link to them would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
mao

Re: Trace Creek

Postby Jim » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:08 pm

Trace Creek had some sawyer work this week thanks to Santa Ed. I think it said North Trace.
-Thanks Ed!

Wet feet would be the difference.

Dereg from what I know is related to the National Park's...and possibly "Potential" Wilderness areas. Existing Wilderness area's will not be available to "wheels" only "heels"...from what I have read.

The deal is it lets the local managers of the NPS make decisions on bike access. Unless that is, that I missed something...which is possible.

Stay tuned...I think the new set of Dem's in charge will make some changes...probably both good and bad...they are politicians...
Jim

Postby mao » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:29 pm

Jim,

Curiosity got the best of me.

http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fus ... sec=values

The specific section is copied below

"Recreational Opportunities in Wilderness
Some people believe that Wilderness is a "lock-up" of land that locks people out and prohibits many types of recreation. This couldn't be farther from the truth. Wilderness areas provide excellent recreational opportunities for all America's citizens. Research shows that more than 12 million people visit Wilderness each year on their own or with a guide to hike, backpack, camp, climb mountains, ride horses, hunt, fish, ski, raft, canoe, take pictures, view wildlife and stargaze. In short, most types of recreational uses are allowed in Wilderness, except those needing mechanical transport or motorized equipment, such as motorboats, cars, trucks, off-road vehicles, bicycles and snowmobiles (exceptions include wheelchairs and uses for subsistence activities in Alaska Wildernesses)."

I thought I read somewhere that they were going to declassify Bicycles as mechanical, must have dreamed it up or misinterpreted the current NPS movement.

No chance to get away this weekend. We rode Middle Fork Saturday and we had some very wet feet and a few swimmers.

Matt
mao

Postby Ed Kindley » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:21 pm

Maintenance was done few days ago Hazel Creek campground to Hwy C, with a
report of several trees across the trail needing a sawyer. No recent reports from
Hwy C to Hwy DD crossing, or from there on to Hwy 32. I did some sawing last
week from Hwy 32 south for about 1 1/2 mile only; from there on to Hwy A there
are reported another 5 trees over the trail needing a sawyer. Don't know how
many of these are step/jump overs. This is a rather heavily used section of trail
and generally in good condition most of the time. From Hwy A on to Bell Mtn. and
the Wilderness Area I'm not sure about. I assume MTB means mountain biking?
Our maintainer from Hwy 32 to Hwy A is a biker (but not a sawyer) so he does make
frequent reports of sawyer needs, and we try to keep up but we have so few active
sawyers that it takes some time to respond to all the reported needs. Please do
us the favor of reporting what you find on the trail to: sawyer@ozarktrail.com
and we'll get to it as soon as we can. Thanks for your posting! Ed
Ed Kindley

Postby Ed Kindley » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:26 pm

Forgot to mention before, the Trace Creek Section of the OT runs from
the Hazel Creek Campground to Hwy A. From Hwy A on is the Taum Sauk
Section, which includes the Bell Mtn. area, going across to Hwy N/Johnson
Shut-ins area, a stretch I'm not personally familiar with.
Ed Kindley

Postby kwylee » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Although the Hwy 32 to Hwy A section of the South Trace is less used, it's definitely 100% rideable and very enjoyable. Of course there may be a few trees down along the way. In my opinion it's some of the best Ozark trail i've ridden. :D
kwylee

Postby mao » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:25 pm

I just returned from Trace Creek Hwy DD to Hazel, my new favorite! We cleaned a lot of the small stuff off, there are about 5 or so step over trees after the Council Bluff to Hwy DD on the way to Hazel Creek. It is pretty clean after today, this weekend would be a great time to ride it. I can't wait to do the south stretch!

Matt
mao

Postby mao » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:39 am

A few other observations that need to be addressed on the Trace Creek are;

1. Riding South from Hazel Creek you cross what I believe is Hwy C. There are no discernible trail markers and the trail is more of a wash out. In the short term some OT markers may be nice to provide confirmation of this is it, the long term will require some reroute work.

2. Again riding South from Hazel Creek when you cross over DD about 1/2 mile in after the DD crossing you ride along the Telleck Branch. About 20-30 meters of this is washed out and hard to follow. If you look you can see OT Markers to signal the way, but again a reroute may be necessary here.

3. A marker at the intersection of the Middle Fork and the Hwy DD Hwy 32 trail head could be easily ridden past in a state of utter exhaustion and confusion.

4. A more obvious market at the old homestead Chimney on the Trace Creek, if you are on rough double track, back track and confirm your route!

Thanks,

Matt
mao

Postby John » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Excellent feedback, Matt. I need to put this on our "to-do" list.
John

Return to Biker Talk