how to make a loop out of middle fork

A discussion group just for mountain bikers

how to make a loop out of middle fork

Postby iliketoridebikes » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:19 pm

Here's a ride that we did last week and it is a nice way to make a loop out of the middle fork trail, with almost all gravel and trail on the way back to the DD trailhead.

http://www.route66bicycles.com/Middle%2 ... 20Loop.htm

it is about 37 miles and 3500 ft. climbing, most of which is on the trail.
the roads on the way back only have one climb worth mentioning, up to the HWY 49 crossing. We took our time and finished the ride in about 5.5 hrs.

Next up, we're going to ride from the DD trailhead to North Trace to Hazel Creek, then find a nice gravel route back to the 32/DD intersection, or close to it.
iliketoridebikes

Postby cploch » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:22 pm

Thanks for the tip! One creek crossing was a little tough balancing on the wet logs and trying not to fall into the 2 ft deep water hole.
cploch

Postby John » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:58 pm

Excellent route. Especially because it takes the "Chicken Road." If you've been there, you know what I mean. :D

Question for those who have been on the Middle Fork lately-- how is the soil just south of Strother Creek (where the log crossing is located)? That's been a mud-hole in the past and I've considered trying to armor the area. With the lack of rain this past summer, is it pretty dry or rutted and messy?
John

Postby iliketoridebikes » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:53 pm

if you are talking about the deep(er) creek that flows out of the tailings pond, then yes the exit is pretty stomped up and muddy.

that part could use two things...trail armor and a better way to get across that creek with dry feet intact!!
iliketoridebikes

Postby John » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:47 pm

The "Chicken Road" is a few miles away where CR-69 hits CR-74 (I think I have those road names right, but I'm not sure).

You're referring to the horrible spot south of Strother Creek where it passes through a field and can get terribly boggy (plus the creek crossing, which is wet unless you can navigate the fallen tree). This is a problem area.

This portion of trail passes through private land owned by Doe Run with an easement to the US Forest Service. The easement was granted some years ago and is a "hard easement' in that the location is fixed. Without going back for a new easement, the location is set--- and it sucks.

The boggy area really needs some armoring. We got a grant to put geoblocks there, but decided the best thing was to bring in some rock. Access is tough--- we need to get private landholder permission to back up a dump truck with few loads of fine rock. There might be other armoring techniques, but given the soil we think this would work best.

The project needs a good champion to work through the easement/access issues and coordinate the rock delivery. The OTA can deliver the volunteers to assist the process.

It's on our "to-do" list, but with 350 miles of trail, that list is long. If anyone would like to volunteer to lead an armoring project at Strother Creek, please let me know!
John

Return to Biker Talk