Great trail weather ahead

A discussion group just for hikers

Great trail weather ahead

Postby runners_low » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:34 am

Fantastic weather predicted for my hike next week. With a fixed schedule, I must take what comes. Long range forecast looks very good with temps between 65 and 45, day and night.

There are some great OT videos on YouTube. Thanks to Spiffyguy and XCCrow. Thanks also to those who gave me pointers on planning.

For anyone who can get away, hope to see you out there. Prime time!

Let us know if you will be out and where. My schedule is posted in an earlier thread.

Joe
runners_low

Re: Great trail weather ahead

Postby Jim » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:45 am

Yep Perfect time to hit the trail. Saw some photo's from the OT100 Running event trail pre-views, Hazel Creek to Hwy 72 will be 100% buff...beyond that...Pure Backcountry - raw . If you have a gps and it's accessible while walking....maybe you could waypoint the down trees...you know the ones larger than 10" off the ground.

Feel free to kick those loose softballs off the trail. Those 100 mile runners will be so happy to not find one in the leaves that are sure to fall by Nov 4.

GETCHASUM!!!!
Jim

Re: Great trail weather ahead

Postby runners_low » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:41 pm

Jim I will be sure to do so. I will also push aside any significant limbs or branches.

Here in Southern Illinois the cooler weather following the dry spell has caused lots of small leaflet limbs (15 inch cluster) to drop. While hiking list Sunday they were all over the place. Small limb with about 20 leaves. We had some wind which may be the cause. That size is not a problem to step on or over. Annoying to runners however.

You had me going with the "buff" and "backcountry raw" comments for a while! Interesting combination of terms. I was thinking, what is the difference between a buff runner and a backcountry raw runner? I guess we will find out.

Joe
runners_low

Return to Hiker Talk