Planning 2 week SOBO Hike

A discussion group just for hikers

Planning 2 week SOBO Hike

Postby runners_low » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:11 am

I will be starting a 2 week hike southward around October 19. Any current trail condition reports, water alerts, or confusing trail mark warnings would be appreciated. Has anyone identified car shuttle resources for sectional forwarding? I hope to cover 143 miles to finish at Powder Mill TH.

I am considering two car (resupply) options. I could either leave my car at Hazel Creek (mile 48) or at Highway J (mile 88), for a 4 to 8 day first section. Is the Highway J TH parking on the gravel road south of J, just across Brushy Creek? Which location would be best for leaving a car unattended.
runners_low

Re: Planning 2 week SOBO Hike

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:52 am

Trail conditions have been perfect. The tread heading south had over 100 mountain bikers ride from Council Bluff Lake to Bass(9/30). The MF, Karkahgnee, sections had about 25 mtn bikes pass through 9/30. All the sections were mowed fairly well. Signage was in good shape northbound. I don't imagine much of an issue south bound. Here is a GPX link we used for the race Northbound. (https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25655934) This route only covers North of Hwy 72 to Bass River Resort.

I am not aware of a section shuttle options. Best bet is using Bass River Resort or Brushy Creek Resort.

I am not aware of issues at either TH. The Hwy J section is south of Hwy but north of the creek. Brushy Creek lodge is only a few miles off the OT with connector trail. (secure parking - warm food, hot shower ;) ) I would think Brushy Creek crossing at Hwy J is a good option.
Water sources might be thin, but the rains are hopefully going to recharge them. Check your stream choices on the maps...some streams start or pass through mine tailings lakes.

Note Saturday 10/21 is the BT EPIC mountain bike race - It starts at Bass River Resort and heads southbound to Berryman clockwise and returns to Bass then up to the Narrows section on the Courtois. I would imagine a Thursday start would put you smack in the middle of the race. I don't want to be a naysayer...but I would choose an alternative start date, pace, or direction. The BT Epic has near 400 mountain bikers.
Jim

Postby runners_low » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks Jim!

I have changed my hike to 8 days beginning at Hazel Creek Campground and ending at Powder Mill Ferry (Owls Bend).

With rain I expect water to be much better by October 24.

This is my present schedule.

I will start at Hazel Creek CG (47.7) where I will camp the night before on Tuesday Oct 24. Car will be left at Brushy Creek Lodge.
Wednesday will hike to Nazarenko Spring (61.8 or 14.1 for day one).
Thursday hike to Henderson Creek (75 or 13.2 for day 2)
Friday hike to Brushy Creek Lodge (91 plus spur for 16+ day 3)
Family members will join me at Brushy Creek Lodge to hike with me on day 4.
Saturday slack pack hike to family car at Sutton Bluff CG (99 for 8 mile day 4)
Sunday hike to stream beyond Grasshopper Hollow at mile 115.6 (16.6 miles for day 5) (modified per Huzzah Hiker camp recommendation)
Monday hike to Upper Blair Creek waterfall(126.7 for 10.1 day 6)
Tuesday hike to Cave beyond where trail leaves Blair Creek 136.4 (9.7 day 7)
Wednesday hike to finish at Powder Mill, Owls Bend (143.4 for 7 mile day 8).

I would appreciate any comments or recommendations.

Thanks.

Joe
Last edited by runners_low on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
runners_low

Postby Mark J » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:08 pm

Looks like a good plan. The food @ Brushy Creek Lodge is good, don't miss out!
Mark J

Postby Huzzah Hiker » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Runner Low,

I just finished a 200 mile section from Ogonndaga to Sinking Creek Lookout Tower. The only change I would make to your schedule would be to camp at the small stream at MM 115.6 rather than Grasshopper Hollow. I've never had any luck with the water at Grasshopper. There is a nice site just to the right of the trail at the small stream.
Happy Trails,

Huzzah Hiker
Huzzah Hiker

Postby runners_low » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Huzzah Hiker,

Congrats on your thru-hike! If you hiked recently, I'm sure water was complicated. How did you handle food drops or caching?

Thanks for the camp recommendation. Great camp spots make for a great hike. There is little chance to find the accidentally. Thank you!

Did you have any difficulty with losing the trail? Did you use or need GPS for problem areas?

Did you do a trail journals post, a OT Forum thru-hike report, or a YouTube video? I would love to read or watch any you have.

Joe
runners_low

Postby Huzzah Hiker » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:31 am

Joe,

Thanks. I had a good hike with only a few trail problems. As stated earlier, the northern 115 mile or so are in great shape thanks to the 100 mile bike and horse rides. The southern portions is still easy to follow but in general its a rougher trail. The trail becomes a less traveled in the Pioneer Forest Section which starts about MM 126. This section is restricted to hikers only. There is a nice waterfall at MM 126.7 which also might be a good place to camp. Somewhere around MM 127.5, in a creek bottom, the trail markers get hard to follow. In this area, someone has hung blue ribbons in the trees to mark the trail. Look for the ribbons.

With regards to the GPS, I carry a Delorme inReach SE with it map app on my Iphone. I works well for both navigation and communication. In this section, I don't think you need GPS for navigation but don't count on being able to get cell service anywhere on the trail. This device take care of both needs.

I did keep a journal and plan to post something on the forum at some point but I haven't got around to it yet. If you want to talk in more detail, send me an email to pjbstl at yahoo dot com with your contact information and I'll give you a call.

Happy Trails,

Pete
Huzzah Hiker

Joe,

Thanks. I had a good hike with only a few trail problems. As stated earlier, the northern 115 mile or so are in great shape thanks to the 100 mile bike and horse rides. The southern portions is still easy to follow but in general its a rougher trail. The trail becomes a less traveled in the Pioneer Forest Section which starts about MM 126. This section is restricted to hikers only. There is a nice waterfall at MM 126.7 which also might be a good place to camp. Somewhere around MM 127.5, in a creek bottom, the trail markers get hard to follow. In this area, someone has hung blue ribbons in the trees to mark the trail. Look for the ribbons.

With regards to the GPS, I carry a Delorme inReach SE with it map app on my Iphone. I works well for both navigation and communication. In this section, I don't think you need GPS for navigation but don't count on being able to get cell service anywhere on the trail. This device take care of both needs.

I did keep a journal and plan to post something on the forum at some point but I haven't got around to it yet. If you want to talk in more detail, send me an email to pjbstl at yahoo dot com with your contact information and I'll give you a call.

Happy Trails,

Pete
Huzzah Hiker

Joe,

Happy Trails,

Pete
Huzzah Hiker

Joe,

Happy Trails,

Pete
Huzzah Hiker

Joe,

Happy Trails,

Pete
Huzzah Hiker

Postby Huzzah Hiker » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:32 am

Joe,

Happy Trails,

Pete
Huzzah Hiker

Postby dkf1979 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:07 am

We used Two Rivers Canoe Rental for a shuttle ride from Powder Mill TH to Peck Ranch. They were right on time and pleasant. I believe it was $75 for the shuttle ride for the 3 of us and our packs.
dkf1979

Postby runners_low » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:18 pm

Thanks dkf.
runners_low

Return to Hiker Talk