Trail access to Turners Mill

A discussion group just for hikers

Trail access to Turners Mill

Postby wicrao1 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:06 pm

I'll be hiking the Eleven Point stretch in November. Was originally planning to do the Western Trailhead to Sinking Creek Tower, but we are talking about shortening it up to spend more time fly fishing on the river. Are there any unimproved trails/game trails that run from Hurricane Creek to Turners' Mill? If not, is that stretch of river shallow enough to wade (waist deep or shallower)? It doesn't appear there will be any shortage of areas to wade that are accessible from the OT, but Turners Mill looks beautiful and I thought it would be worth trying to make my way down there. If there's no way to hike or wade there, we may just do a road trip there after the hike is over.

On other question. We're planning to travel west to east and were thinking Day 1 would be the Western Trailhead to Boom Hole to camp. This will be our first visit to the OT. I'm used to the Rockies and Smoky Mountains and 16+ miles in a day in the terrain/elevation I'm used to would probably be quite a challenge. Is this stretch manageable in day? Thanks for any info.
wicrao1

Re: Trail access to Turners Mill

Postby jyancey » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:18 pm

I have hiked from Turner's Mill north on the gravel road to a dirt road going west along a ridge, then bashing cross-country down to the toe of the ridge that hits Hurricane Creek just about where the OT crosses the creek, north of where the upper and lower trails diverge. I then followed the upper trail all the way up to Boom Hole. I have not been on the trail west of there.

Check out the OT map and/or a CalTopo or USGS map and my route should be obvious. The Missouri woods can be a bit brushy (and tick-ey, in season!) but the slopes and relief are generally manageable, and can provide some good off-piste alternatives to established trails. Make sure you have a decent topo map and a compass. A GPS can be used lay out and follow a route, but I don't like to rely solely on fragile, sometimes unreliable electronics. YMMV.

BTW, I have not been on the the Eleven Point section since the biblical flood of this past spring. I don't have first-hand knowledge of the trail's or river's condition. I have seen the effects on the Current River, Bryant Creek and the North Fork River which were all significantly affected. I can only assume the Eleven Point was as well. Others on here may be able to give you more salient advice there.
jyancey

Postby Jbf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:33 pm

I would compare the eleven point section to the smoky mountain Appalachian trail. Many manageable ups and downs but the rockiness is the issue. I've hiked the eleven point section when falling leaves cover the tread of the path and it can be treacherous. Leaves will hide the many rocks covering the path and you will slide, roll, and slip your way over the rockiest parts. My feet were sore after this section. It sounds like you're an experienced hiker so you should be able to cover the mileage you stated in a day. I find I average about 2 miles per hour including breaks on the ozark trail. Sounds like a like it'll be a great trip. Have fun!
Jbf

Postby Sara » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:23 pm

There is an old road that goes from Hurricane Creek to Turners Mill. I haven't been on it in 10 years, but at that time it was very overgrown with a lot of briars.
Sara

Postby wicrao1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:13 am

Thank you all for the information. Much appreciated.
wicrao1

Return to Hiker Talk