Parking at Eleven Point head

A discussion group just for hikers

Parking at Eleven Point head

Postby RobLangellier » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:04 am

Has anyone been to the Eleven Point Western Trailhead near Thomasville? My girlfriend and I are planning a thru-hike to Taum Sauk next month, and we're trying to decide whether to walk up or walk down.

It looks like the Eleven Point Trailhead starts at the end of a rut road. I would think there'd be parking there, but you can't see any from satellite imagery, and I'd hate to drive 3 hours down there and spend all day looking for a place to park and walking back to the trailhead.

I'm thinking it would be better to hike north from there. Ending at Tom Sauk seems less anti-climactic (and we'll be in good shape by then).
Last edited by RobLangellier on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobLangellier

Re: Parking at Eleven Point head

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:33 am

I would hike north. That is a very remote destination and maybe not the best for leaving a car.
Jim

Postby Mark J » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:20 pm

I parked there in June for a North to South thru hike. There really isn't a parking lot and you can only take low clearance vehicles so far on the road. But we found a logging clearing about 0.5 mile from the end of the trail and parked our car there for 16 days. We called the sheriff's dept in advance and let them know--the dispatcher said they definitely appreciate the heads up. We were concerned about people but no one bothered it. However, next time I took it in for maintenance our mechanic found some wires that mice had chewed through. I hadn't thought about that but it's probably one of your bigger risks as well. Have fun!
Mark J

Postby RobLangellier » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks, guys. We've decided to go north, turning right at Trace Creek to finish with Taum Sauk instead of Courtois Creek. We'll park at Highway 21.
RobLangellier

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:37 pm

That will be a good loop with an easier shuttle and all the best sections of the OT minus CBL... Which you have the time add 6 miles round trip and camp lake side. http://www.ozarktrail.com/maps/detailed/TraceCreek2.jpg @ mile 2.6 on the lake loop(Purple trail) there is a small peninsula that points north...on the end of it is a nice fire pit...lakeside. swimming...Sunrise is over the top of Johnson Mtn.
Jim

Postby RobLangellier » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:56 am

Jim wrote:That will be a good loop with an easier shuttle and all the best sections of the OT minus CBL... Which you have the time add 6 miles round trip and camp lake side. http://www.ozarktrail.com/maps/detailed/TraceCreek2.jpg @ mile 2.6 on the lake loop(Purple trail) there is a small peninsula that points north...on the end of it is a nice fire pit...lakeside. swimming...Sunrise is over the top of Johnson Mtn.

I’m going to have to keep this in mind. Thanks, Jim.
RobLangellier

Return to Hiker Talk