River Hike/Camp options

A discussion group just for hikers

River Hike/Camp options

Postby claybstclair » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:50 pm

My daughter and I are interested in an out and back overnight backpacking trip. Looking to do somewhere around 4-6 miles each way and we'd like to stay along a nice river or creek somewhere. Secluded if possible. Any suggestions? We're coming from St. Louis but we're willing to drive a little extra to find a nice place. I'm getting ready for a backpacking trip to Glacier and my daughter is going with me. We haven't yet taken our tent/stove/etc. out and we'd like to do a test run before we get out there. Thanks in advance!!!!!
claybstclair

Re: River Hike/Camp options

Postby Huzzah Hiker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:44 pm

A nice six mile hike is from the Hwy DD/32 TH to Wolf Pen Hollow Falls. This is close to St.Louis, an easy hike and the falls have a campsite right next to it. With that being said, the the Current River section is a nice river section. You could start at the alternate TH ( Item "G" or "J" on the map) and hike south past Rocky Creek, Klepzip Mill, Buzzard MT Shut-in and Rocky Falls. There are several nice campsites in this section and lots of water. It is further from St. Louis about 3.5 hours and Power Mill Campsite is closed due to the recent floods.
Huzzah Hiker

Postby claybstclair » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:36 pm

Huzzah Hiker-

Thanks A TON for the tips!!! My daughter and I did the Rocky Creek hike you suggested. It was perfect and was just what we were looking for. Thanks so much. We had a wonderful time and the weather was beautiful.
claybstclair

Postby Huzzah Hiker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:00 am

Happy to help.
Huzzah Hiker

Postby animalspooker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:45 am

I'm looking for the same thing, but looking along the Eleven Point/Current River area. I live in Poplar Bluff, and would like to have a 2 day/hike/camp along the river trip. Was thinking more along the lines of a 10 to 12 hour (less is fine) hike, as this will be our first hike, but we are both really active and walking is something we do a lot of. As mentioned, we live in PB and would like to be within a couple of hours drive from home. We would also like a loop so we can end at our vehicle, but we are not above taking a shuttle if you have suggestions for that as well.
animalspooker

Return to Hiker Talk