Questions Regarding Camping near Taum Sauk Mountain

A discussion group just for hikers

Questions Regarding Camping near Taum Sauk Mountain

Postby jclem » Wed May 17, 2017 8:49 pm

I'm thinking of taking my family on our first backpacking weekend with an overnight along the Taum Sauk part of the trail, from Taum Sauk Mountain Trailhead to Devil's Tollgate and back. We'd likely drive up and spend a night at the campground at Taum Sauk Mountain State Park, and hike a few miles the next day, camp and then return the following day.

Looking at the website for Taum Sauk Mountain State Park, there is a fee for camping. Does this fee only apply to the official campground area near the trailhead or anywhere within the borders of the park, which seems to include the route to Devil's Tollgate. Finally how does one go about paying the camping fee as I don't see where there is an park office?
jclem

Re: Questions Regarding Camping near Taum Sauk Mountain

Postby jyancey » Wed May 17, 2017 11:33 pm

The official campground requires a fee. The backcountry (i.e. along the trail) does not. There is an "Iron Ranger" at the entrance to the campground that consists of a kiosk with self-registration envelopes to enclose payment, and a steel pipe with a slot to drop the completed forms and money into.
Fires are allowed in the campground (but only in the designated campsite fire rings) but are not allowed in the backcountry. You should buy firewood nearby (Arcadia, etc.) and not import it from more than 50 miles away.
There are several "social" campsites along the trail near Devil's Tollgate.
Hope you enjoy visiting the Taum Sauk region!
jyancey

Return to Hiker Talk