Arcadia Valley/Shepherd Mountain

A discussion group just for hikers

Arcadia Valley/Shepherd Mountain

Postby TeacherMan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Exciting news! Hopefully by 2018 the Ozark Trail will reach into Ironton and across Shepherd Mountain to Pilot Knob, MO!

The Big Picture:
When the OT hooks-into the trails being developed in conjunction with the City of Ironton and the Arcadia Valley Trail Association we will have the FIRST TRAIL-TOWN on the OT! The three contiguous municipalities of (north to south) Pilot Knob, Ironton, and Arcadia will be the front door for people to access the OT...and what a great front door!

---Amtrak: the new Amtrak station (Fall of 2016) provides access for people from around the nation (or world) to the trail through Arcadia and Ironton.

---Fort Davidson Civil War Battlefield: In Pilot Knob at the foot of Shepherd Mountain is a state historical site where a significant battle occurred. The trail on Shepherd Mountain will pass through one of the several Confederate cannon emplacements used to attack the Fort.

---Trail Town Amenities: at the foot of the Shepherd Mountain trail is the Shepherd Mountain Inn, an RV park, a (legitimate) massage establishment, a pharmacy, a grocery store, two restaurants...all within a quarter mile and in easy site. Just up the road to the north (about 1/2 mile) is a hospital, a McDonalds, a bowling alley(!), and lots of other stuff! Pilot Knob has a couple restaurants and another hotel (as well as the Civil War battlefield). To the south is the Amtrak station in two miles and Ironton with Walgreens, grocery stores, and the Iron County courthouse square which regularly hosts concerts, fairs, etc. Look on the front courthouse facade for where a Civil War cannonball took a chunk!

More later about what is being planned and current work on the trail connections...

Get excited OTA folks!

Don Schulte
TeacherMan

Re: Arcadia Valley/Shepherd Mountain

Postby mike » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:57 am

Sounds good to me.
mike

Postby Homespun » Tue May 09, 2017 9:18 am

This currently has my interest, with a time frame of next year. Resupply is the the obvious advantage for me, currently JSI is the near resupply and that isn't complete. This being May is development occurring ?
Homespun

Postby Jim » Wed May 10, 2017 10:16 am

They should consider mountain biking access if they want this to be truly successful.
Jim

Postby Homespun » Thu May 11, 2017 8:09 am

Mountain biking is all fine and all and where trail use is wanting , is a positive addition. Would mountain biking go to the west of Taum Sauk?
Homespun

Postby Jim » Mon May 15, 2017 7:13 am

Would it, Could it, Should it?
Yes, Yes, Yes.
The rocks of Taum Sauk would make a great addition to the terrain for mountain biking.
The terrain could improve the options for more rugged, less sanitized trail to ride.
Mountain biking has no more or less negative impact than hiking on the trail system.
Mountain bike use of trail systems improves trail maintenance.
Mountain bikers are great stewards for the trail system.
Hiker/Biker interactions on the OT are very minimal and friendly.

If the purpose of the trail in Arcadia Valley/Shepard Mountain is to increase tourism in the region, then why not reach out to one of the potential trail activities with disposable incomes.
The benefits to OT trails sections - Berryman, Trace Creek, Middle Fork, Karkahgnee all show the benefits of having mountain bikers. Mountain bikers expanded use of these sections of trail over the last few years has lead to improved trail corridors, more users = more funding opportunities to support trail maintenance and expansion. I haven't seen a negative impact of Mountain Bikers on the OT.
Caledonia BBQ and Bass River Resort, has seen the positive impact of Mountain bikers on the trail system.

Win, Win, Win.
Jim

Postby Homespun » Wed May 17, 2017 11:39 am

What you say about trail stewardship, maintenance, and funding is quite true. A mountain bike has about ten times the wear on a trail as a hiker.
Homespun

Postby Jim » Wed May 17, 2017 1:03 pm

We can argue the trail impact all day long. Want to see the difference? Weldon Spring Missouri - Lewis and Clark Trail versus Lost Valley Trail. Only a couple miles separate them, however their conditions vary in extremes due to abuse. Want to guess which is in the worst shape?

The real story for Arcadia Valley and the region is tourism revenue to help keep their communities alive.
I can tell you it is going to take a lot more than a handful of day hikers or thru hikers to make the train/trail combo pay for itself.

Don't take my word for the positive impacts from mountain bikers - try few words from a reputable outdoor magazine. https://www.outsideonline.com/2184491/how-mountain-biking-saving-small-town-usa?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=onsiteshare
Jim

Postby Homespun » Thu May 18, 2017 8:16 am

Bikers are a broad support group and hikers are on the ebb. So far as wear and tear on the trail is concerned I could give vent to bikers contribution that I have noticed. In the town here there is a cut through between two neighborhoods a couple hundred feet long that I take maybe five times a week, all through the year, and when the ground is thawing in the Spring and in extended wet periods mucky spots develop and the impressions in them are bike ruts. I've had lots of time to mull this and could easily spend five hundred words on how the forces of bike tires bring the ground moisture to the surface, much the same as foot contact does, only ten times as much.
Homespun

Return to Hiker Talk