Camping Btw. Tom Sauk and Johnson's Shut-ins

A discussion group just for hikers

Camping Btw. Tom Sauk and Johnson's Shut-ins

Postby Mr. Sparky » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:46 am

Greetings, I am planning to hike the Taum Sauk section westward to Johnson's Shut-ins. Could I get recommendations for tent sites between the summit of Taum Sauk and the Shut-Ins? Are there good spots near Mini Sauk or along Proffit? It looks pretty steep and have never visited this part of the state. Many thanks!
Mr. Sparky

Re: Camping Btw. Tom Sauk and Johnson's Shut-ins

Postby mike » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:35 am

There is a site about a 100 yards or so West of Mina Sauk Falls, with leaf off you can see the falls from it. From that point there are two or tree sites along Taum Sauk Creek which the trail follows. One site at about mile 27.5 just before you cross the creek is a pretty nice spot then there is another about the 26.5 mile mark (roughly) that is pretty good. From there heading west there is only one other site that I can recall and I believe it is between the 22 and 20 mile markers on Profit Mountain in a glade area. Nice view but is a dry camp. Enjoy your hike!

Mike
mike

Postby Mr. Sparky » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:51 am

This is exactly what I needed -- thanks very much for the info, Mike!
Mr. Sparky

Postby Drift Woody » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm considering a hike from Taum Sauk to the Scour trailhead near Johnson's Shut-Ins. Are there good views from Proffit Mountain with a place to camp in proximity to the views? I understand it would be a dry camp.

Also, is there any way to get a shuttle ride between the two trailheads? Leaving my car at Scour, I'd need a ride to Taum Sauk Mtn. trailhead. I just did a search and found the informative post below which probably answers my question, but it doesn't hurt to ask if there are additional options.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1069
Ataklife wrote:Bob at Franklin floats in Lesterville Ph. 573-637-2205 ------- Bell Mountain Hwy A Trailhead to Ketcherside Mountain Hwy 21 Trailhead ~$50
Marshall at 32/DD Bait Shop Ph. 573-244-5292 ------_ Onondaga SP to DD/32 Trailhead ~$90
Koinania Valley Ranch 1231 County Road 66 Black MO 63625 Ph. 573-269-4544 ------- Do not remember her name but shuttled from Hwy A (Bell Mountain) to Hwy J Trailhead ~$35

These folks all were very nice, reliable, and fairly inexpensive. They were all much cheaper than JSI, Brushy Creek, and Bass River Resort.
Drift Woody

Return to Hiker Talk