Highway DD to Wolfpen Hollow

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Highway DD to Wolfpen Hollow

Postby n3870v » Wed May 06, 2015 8:07 am

rsz_wolfpen_hollow-1.JPG
rsz_wolfpen_hollow-1.JPG (182.18 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
My wife and I did this overnight at Wolfpen Hollow Sunday & Monday. It was only her 2nd backpacking trip and I wanted a trail that was very scenic, and not difficult. The trail was in very good condition, there were not any downed trees or branches across the trail. We only passed one hiker and one biker on Sunday and no one on Monday.

The weather was a little warm, but there was a nice breeze blowing, the sky was blue, and the wildflowers were magnificent! There is a section between the two crossings of the Middle Fork Black River as you walk along the river section, it is loaded with Larkspur, FirePink, May Apple, Ox-Eye, Geraniums and other wild flowers. The flowers are in bloom right up the edge of the trail.

This was the first trip I was able to use my new Garmin Oregon 600 GPS. As we started out I was tracking our position against the OT trail map and it follows the trail exactly. However, at about mile 5, I noticed that we were not making as good as time as I had anticipated The trail details on the OT web site list the trail mileage from DD trail head to Wolfpen Hollow at 6 miles. Having been on this trail a few times, I realized at mile 5 that we still had a ways to go. When we finally arrived at WolfPen Hollow, the GPS had a distance of 7.2 miles. The return trip also registered 7.2 miles. We had no deviations from the trail, yet were 1.2 miles longer that what the trip detail section lists. The time on the trail coincides with our hiking speed to confirm 7.2 miles not 6. Was wondering if anyone else had noticed this mileage discrepancy?

If anyone is interested, the GPS listed the total descent at 845 feet, and the total ascent at 660 feet, so you can reverse these numbers for the return trip.

The whippoorwills, camp fire, full moon, and the sound of the creek made for a great evening. Monday morning brought a small shower, but didn't dampen our spirits, Breakfast was good, the sun came out, and off we went.

And no hike in this area would be complete without a stop and meal at the Bixby Country Store!. So we stopped there for lunch, what a very interesting place.

N3870V
Attachments
rsz_larkspur-1.JPG
rsz_larkspur-1.JPG (195.28 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
FirePink (3).jpg
FirePink (3).jpg (197.83 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
n3870v

Re: Highway DD to Wolfpen Hollow

Postby n3870v » Wed May 06, 2015 8:10 am

A couple of additional pictures!!

N3870v
Attachments
rsz_ox-eye-1.JPG
rsz_ox-eye-1.JPG (222.65 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
rsz_1creek.JPG
rsz_1creek.JPG (202.22 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
rsz_may_apple-1.JPG
rsz_may_apple-1.JPG (196.29 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
n3870v

Postby mike » Wed May 06, 2015 8:26 am

Sounds like you had a good hike. The wildflowers have been awesome this year and it looks like you got some great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
mike

Postby slosh » Sat May 09, 2015 6:38 am

Good stuff! Thx for sharing.
slosh

Return to Trip Reports