5 miles to go!

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

5 miles to go!

Postby slosh » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:47 pm

11/1/14 - I don't ever post on here but I almost completed "section hiking" the entire 230 miles from Onondaga to the Western Terminus this past Saturday. The only thing that stopped me was they had a managed hunt at Peck Ranch over the weekend with a road closed sign except for hunters at the entrance. I guess I will have to make another trek down there just for that 5 mile section. My cousin and uncle dropped me off at Hwy P at 8:30am and I headed south. This section of the trail is relatively easy (not too hilly) until you turn away from the creek heading towards the Current River (you can easily see what I'm talking about on the detailed map). Most of the trail was leaf covered so I had to do a "shuffle run" so I wouldn't roll an ankle which I've been known to do. Once I got into the big hills, it was a lot prettier with the fall colors. I reached Powder Mill campground where we were camping about 2:30. We hopped in the truck but no luck at Peck Ranch so we (my cousin and I) started just downstream of Rocky Falls (which was amazing). This is another great section of trail with all the shut ins and Klepzig Mill. A real gem! Made a left turn and heading upstream (on the Current) into the hills. This section wasn't all that hilly either. There's a lot of downhill and flat sections. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The rest of the trail -
Nov 2012 - Hwy P to Bass Resort (ozark trail 100 race)
June 2013 - Onondaga to Bass Resort (run and float)
May 2nd, 2014 - Western Terminus to Sinking Creek Lookout Tower
May 3rd, 2014 - Sinking Creek to Peck Ranch

Peck Ranch trailhead to Hwy NN is all I have left. About 5.5 miles.

I'm guessing it's taken me around 70 hours.

Thanks to all the OT volunteers and the OTA. This is truly a gem. I lived in MO all my life and didn't even know it existed until about 5 years ago.
slosh

Re: 5 miles to go!

Postby DirtRoadRunner » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:45 am

Nice trip report, and great progress. With almost all of the trail in 70 hours, you probably have the unofficial "speed record" for the whole trail, at over 3 mph. If you want some more challenges, you can tackle the spur from DD/32 to Taum Sauk, and the isolated 9-mile Marble Creek section. Both are beautiful.
DirtRoadRunner

Re: 5 miles to go!

Postby slosh » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:10 pm

I don't know about a speed record. I'm sure someone has done it faster.
No one probably knows about it though. I am just estimating my time anyway. It could be more, it could be less.
I just like getting out there. Saw some really cool things (views, animals, history). For instance, on Saturday,
I saw a nice buck (130") about 40 yards away that had no idea I was there.
He had other things on his mind. He was just blindly walking through the
Woods and grunting up a storm.

I plan on doing the taum Sauk section. Might make that a 2 dayer and
Enjoy it a little more. I heard it is the most difficult section of the trail.
Might not get to that little adventure till next year though.
slosh

Return to Trip Reports