Onondaga to Brushy Creek Lodge - Oct. 17-24th (91 miles)

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Onondaga to Brushy Creek Lodge - Oct. 17-24th (91 miles)

Postby mbrandeskc » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:11 pm

My wife Sandi and I completed our 91 mile hike of the Ozark Trail last Friday just after noon. We did the 91+1 miles in exactly 7 days. We had an amazing time! The fall colors were awesome, the weather was great and the trail was in fantastic shape. I've documented our 7 day journey on the trailjounrnals.com website (http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=477195). We took several hundred pictures along the way and I've posted about 100 of them. We met three other hikes on our trip. Wayne (Pug) from Topeka, KS who is training for a 2015 AT hike. We also met Collin & Chris (father/son) who were hiking from Bell Mountain to Brushy Creek Lodge.

A very hearty THANK YOU for all the OTA Volunteers who maintain the trail. This is truly a hidden gem. Also a big thank you for the OT website administrators/developers and the person who created the GPX track of the trail. We primarily used the Locus Map android app (imported GPX) along with the detailed through-hike planner. I did carry copies of the terrain maps but we never used them.

For anyone worried about water on the trail (as I did!) let me ease your fears. Water is plentiful, even in mid-October all of the creeks/streams had water in them. I was only disappointed in Harmon Springs.

We plan to return to the trail in the spring and finish the remaining ~140 miles so we can consider ourselves thru-hikers of the OT! Here are a few pictures, the rest can be found at the link above.

Matthew & Sandi
Ottawa, KS
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=16291
mbrandeskc

Re: Onondaga to Brushy Creek Lodge - Oct. 17-24th (91 miles)

Postby mike » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:14 am

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Thanks for the post and pics.

Mike
mike

Re: Onondaga to Brushy Creek Lodge - Oct. 17-24th (91 miles)

Postby Jim » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:32 am

Nice walking! The next 140 miles the hills get much steeper but the scenery is even more spectacular.

GETCHASUM!!!
Jim

Return to Trip Reports