My Wifes First Trip Ever!

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

My Wifes First Trip Ever!

Postby n3870v » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:24 am

My wife and I have been married for 27 years. She had never taken a backpacking trip, or for that matter camped in a tent overnight. I had always backpacked alone or went with my daughter. My wife and I do a lot of day hikes together, and we just came back from hiking the North Cascades in Washington State. She just never liked the overnight idea. I had scheduled a weekend trip for myself this fall and asked her if she wanted to go, and to my surprise, she said yes.

I wanted this to be a great experience for her, so I tried to find a nice easy overnight trip that offered a great campsite. The first thing that came to mind was the top of Bell Mountain. Its only a little over 3.6 miles from the North trailhead, and hardly any climbing, plus it offers spectacular views. We were going to go Saturday night, Oct 18th, but the forecast was lows in the upper 30's. Friday night was lows in the mid 40's, so I took off work Friday, backed up the gear and off we went. I let her carry a day pack with only her hydration bladder and one Nalgene bottle of water, plus snacks. My pack was a lot more heavy than usual, but it was a good workout.

Friday & Saturday was perfect weather. The colors on the hike up there were absolutely amazing. We arrived about 1430 and was happy to see that we were the only ones up there. We set up camp on prime real-estate. We explored a little, gathered firewood, and just enjoyed the view from up there. I introduced her to freeze dried food for dinner (mountain home chili mac & cinnamon apple crisp for dessert, washed down by some good hot tea).

As the sun set the temps really started to drop, and it was breezy all night long. She was bundled up pretty good during the night, but was still a little cold during the night. This can easily be remedied by getting her a proper sleeping bag. The morning dawned perfect and once the sun hit the tent it warmed up fast. Made her breakfast and coffee, and just sat and took in the views. By the time we packed up and left it was 1200.

So glad we went on Friday. On the hike out we passed more than a dozen hikers who were probably looking for that prime spot we had. The experience was great and she said that she would do it again.

N3870V
Attachments
Saturday Sunrise.jpg
Saturday Sunrise
Saturday Sunrise.jpg (68.36 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
n3870v

Re: My Wifes First Trip Ever!

Postby n3870v » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:34 am

Additional pictures
Attachments
Green Tree Snake.jpg
Green tree snake
Green Tree Snake.jpg (100.9 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
Topside view.jpg
Topside view
Topside view.jpg (66.29 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
Fall Colors.jpg
Fall colors
Fall Colors.jpg (114.4 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
n3870v

Re: My Wifes First Trip Ever!

Postby mike » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:24 am

Glad all went well. Tough to beat the views from the top of Bell Mountain.

Mike
mike

Return to Trip Reports