Completing The Wappapello Section

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Completing The Wappapello Section

Postby Ron @ Rosie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:00 pm

Oct. 15th and 16th 2014, my wife and I completed hiking this section after several trips we took over the past 3 years. Many of them were out and back trips. The first day we completed from CR546 to the northern spur trail to the lake. This part needs some sawing, but needs a lot of lopping and opening up of the trail. Heavy rains was of some concern, but the wet fork creek was no problem. The otter creek did not look passable. Could not tell how deep. In the same area at the 26.43 mile on the trail book map is a gas line that runs across the power cut that is not passable. Tall growth briars. water in many low spots. Could not tell where the trail was at on the other side. This area is not a fun spot. Met 2 young guys getting ready for deer season in this area and there was hog damage, hole in the trail. But it was a good day.
The second day we hiked the loop starting at the highway 67 trail head. Because of flooding concerns, the forest service people said the east side may be a problem with water. We hiked the western side first. No water problems. Some good hills. A few trees needs cutting. A lot of lopping needed. Only a couple of areas have hog area damage. No problems hiking it. The western side is a little longer, some good hills, but was passable. Same as the east side as far as trees down and growth that needs attention. But a lot of hog damage on the trail. Still ok to hike but hogs are there. We are happy to complete this section.

Ron & Rosie
Ron @ Rosie

Re: Completing The Wappapello Section

Postby mike » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Thanks for posting the trip reports on this section of the trail. Sounds like it could use a little TLC.

Mike
mike

Postby Ron @ Rosie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:57 pm

We had a small crew working this area on 12-6-13. OTA volunteers sawed, lopped, and used a hedge trimmer, and weed eater. Todd went out the week before and done a lot of signing which helped out a bunch. Every thing is Better, but not quite done. We will return sometime and use the hedge trimmers to open the trail the rest of the way. Otter creek has had signs put up so you can get around the deep hole in the creek, and get to the other side.

Ron
Ron @ Rosie

Postby Ron @ Rosie » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:58 am

I forgot to mention, my wife leave blowed the trail about 3 miles. From Otter creek, about 1.5 miles each side of creek. Road to road.
Ron
Ron @ Rosie

Return to Trip Reports