Social Campsites

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Social Campsites

Postby pandafusion » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:37 pm

Although there is disagreement on the issue, I tend to like small social campsites. I think they can actually contribute to LNT goals by providing pre-built fire rings and tent pads and concentrating the impact rather than spreading it around.

To that end, I am interested in knowing about the better campsites along the trail? I am particularly interested in The Scour/Black River sites near Johnson's Shut-Ins at the moment, but would like recommendations from other sections.

Here's my list so far:

Best:
Peter Cave Hollow Creek, very near the crossing
Wolf Pen Hollow Waterfall, cross just above the falls - great white noise

Good:
Highway A Trailhead, back underneath the pines off the parking lot
Courtois Creek Crossing, established campsite
Gunstock Hollow, a half mile before (southbound) the primary water source, near a small trickling creek
The Henderson Creek site looked nice too.

Thank you for any recommendations in advance and happy hiking!
pandafusion

Re: Social Campsites

Postby Sharkey » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:49 pm

Berryman campgound is a short spur off the trail.

Hazel Creek still has fire rings and highline horse pickets. Someone burned the bathrooms a few years back.

The Curtois Crossing you refeed to is Little St Louis and in in the Huzzah Conservation area. It is open for camping September 15 through May 15 only, closed during the summer
Sharkey

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:51 am

Scour is probably too new to have any sort of social campsite as you are looking for.
Occassionally there are a few Scout camps along the trail. There is a nice one just north of the Middle Fork/Trace Creek Intersection on the headwaters(trickly of a stream) of the Big river.

Bell Mountain has a couple. It can be a busy place during shoulder season.
Jim

Postby aroth87 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:10 pm

There are two along the connector trail to Rocky Falls, a couple around Klepzig Mill, and a couple along Indian Creek on the Current River section. If you take a short detour on the Laxton Hollow trail off of the Blair Creek section there is a nice campsite at Laxton Spring.

I tend to agree, I like social campsites even if they're aren't compliant with Leave No Trace. I usually haul some trash out so I at least leave a little less of a trace....

Adam
My Photos

"we see the future in leaping flames, making plans in their enchantment which in the brash light of day seem foolhardy" -Sigurd Olson
aroth87

Return to Trip Reports