Powder Mill (142) to S Wildlife Refuge Fence (162) and back

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Powder Mill (142) to S Wildlife Refuge Fence (162) and back

Postby woody2010 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:17 pm

On the advice of a forum member we wanted to do a section of the Current River section. We didn't have the option to do a thru hike so decided to do an out and back. Got a very late start Wednesday night but parked at the Powder Mill Research Office, and got about 3 miles in and found a place to camp. First few miles were very overgrown but scenery was nice. Thursday we passed Indian Creek and Klepzig Mill, which was really cool, and then made the detour over to Rocky Falls which is a must see for anyone that hikes this section. We got lucky and saw the wild horses which was one of the highlights. Seeing horses run through the forest is something else, almost amazing. Then we headed up and over Stegall Mountain. The views on top are really nice. The trails on the glades are marked really well by rock cairns. My knee was bugging me a little but we decided to enter the wildlife area knowing that we had to go at least 6 miles since no camping is allowed in that area. That section of the trail was pretty disappointing. Much of it is what I would describe as a barren wasteland after all the burning they have done. We did not see any wildlife in the wildlife refuge area. We got to the end of that wildlife area and set up camp after a 17 mile day The next morning we got up and started heading back and camped just past Klepzig Mill. The rivers and creeks were flowing nicely and water was easy to find. We did the last 6 miles back to the car today. I would highly recommend this hike, except perhaps not doing the 6 mile wildlife refuge, or 12 if you doing an out and back.

Here are some pics. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.757059297660593.1073741828.100000695906309&type=1&l=19bd4a0fcb
woody2010

Re: Powder Mill (142) to S Wildlife Refuge Fence (162) and b

Postby Sharkey » Sat May 03, 2014 10:08 pm

Great Pictures. This section is on my to do list.
Sharkey

Postby mike » Mon May 05, 2014 8:56 am

Glad you enjoyed your hike. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Mike
mike

Postby aroth87 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:47 am

So cool that you saw the horses! I've only seen them once and it was a very memorable experience.
Glad you enjoyed the hike. You'll have to do the Taum Sauk section next!

Adam
My Photos

"we see the future in leaping flames, making plans in their enchantment which in the brash light of day seem foolhardy" -Sigurd Olson
aroth87

Return to Trip Reports