Between the Rivers to Big Springs and back

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Between the Rivers to Big Springs and back

Postby mike » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:26 pm

Highway 60 TH to connector trail to Big Springs and back on the weekend of 12/28/2013. A very pleasant hike. Here is a link to my trip report: http://mikevaughnsadventures.blogspot.com/2014/01/ozark-trail-between-rivers-to-big.html

Love this country!
Mike
Last edited by mike on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
mike

Re: Between the Rivers to Big Springs and back

Postby jyancey » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:57 pm

Mike,

I can't seem to make your link work. I am very interested in your trip discussion. Is there another way to view your post?

Thanks!

Jim
jyancey

Postby mike » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:47 am

Looks like I had clicked the wrong button when I put the link in. It should work now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Mike
mike

Postby pipsin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:06 am

Hey Mike,

Thanks for posting yet another adventure. I hope to one day take my tag-along with me on some overnight hikes. He's not quite a year old yet...and he runs with my wife and I...so he's well on his way to being able to withstand a trip. He's a larger breed dog (a Goldendoodle - mix of Golden Retriever and Standard Poodle). I was wondering how the first few trips were when you took Spot. Was he able to walk with you off-leash when you first took him along...or did you leash him at first? Our dog isn't able to walk off-leash yet as he's still a puppy and is easily distracted. Any pointers on how to get him to that point? You certainly have some experience!
pipsin

Postby n3870v » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:33 am

Mike:

Thanks for the report and pictures. Never been to Big Springs and have not taken a winter overnight trip in years. Looks inviting until the night sleeping shivers kick in. I think I will wait for warmer temps, yes I am a wimp!

N3870v
n3870v

Postby mike » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:15 pm

Any pointers on how to get him to that point?

Spot is a rescue from the animal shelter so I don't know his entire history as he was around 2 when we got him. We have had him nearly 3 years and he has always been the best behaved dog I've had. I walk 4.5 miles every morning and he goes with me and has since we got him. He knows who's boss and does extremely well on leash, no pulling, barking, etc. I wish I could tell you something special I've done but its just been the basic obedience stuff and making sure he knew who the "alpha" was.

I do hike with him off leash since it is extremely rare for me to run across anyone due to the time of year I do most of my hiking but I do carry his leash in case we go through an area where we might run into other folks.
mike

Postby JT » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:30 pm

Mike,
Great report. I look forward to going to Big Springs sometime in the future.

I too encountered the dogs you mentioned. I hope they are gone for good. I wrote about my encounter in my post "BTR Mile 169 Warning ...." on this forum.

I would like to hear from others who have recently hiked this section to see if the dogs have recently been active.

My dog encounter was extremely traumatic and I am very reluctant to use that section of trail, I would rather bushwhack via the nearby FS road to the trail to avoid the "dog territory".
Reports of dogs were mentioned in the 2005 edition of the OT Guidebook and I have not read a report of an actual bite attack; but I will tell you that, like your encounter, I truly believed I was going to be attacked and severely bitten by these three large animals. It would not have been a good outcome. I was so scared I forgot I had bear spray!

I contacted the MTNF district ranger about my incident and I was told to carry a gun and shoot the animal. I am reluctant to do that, but I have seriously considered the option.

Anyone have recent dog encounters here??
JT
JT
JT

Postby DirtRoadRunner » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:25 am

Dog spray is always a option:
http://www.amazon.com/Halt-91427-Dog-Re ... B001AZMH46

When I'm not hiking, I'm often cycling on rural roads, with lots of free-roaming dogs that love to chase bikes and try to bite the legs of cyclists. I haven't had to use the spray yet, but several of the cyclists around here swear by it.
DirtRoadRunner

Return to Trip Reports