Bell Mountain Day and Night

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Bell Mountain Day and Night

Postby Yoven » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:59 am

Headed out from Highway A, followed the trail for about half a mile and then made our way up to the ridge which we followed until hooking up with the trail just before the Joe's Creek split. Saw some signs of feral pigs. Watched the sunset at the summit and came back down the trail in the dark. We did a night hike last year when there was snow on the ground which made the trail easy to see even with no lights. This time even the red l.e.d. wasn't cutting it and had to use the white after twilight ended. Trail was frozen and made for easy walking. I love those dark skies and bright stars. Summit is starting to look bad with all the fire rings and half burned wood. Frustrates me that people do that to such a gem.
Yoven

Re: Bell Mountain Day and Night

Postby aroth87 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:46 pm

Sounds like a great trip, Bell Mt was my favorite place to spend the day when I was in Rolla. I agree its unfortunate about all the debris on the summit. Maybe someone needs to plan a trip to clean up the place a bit.

Adam
My Photos

"we see the future in leaping flames, making plans in their enchantment which in the brash light of day seem foolhardy" -Sigurd Olson
aroth87

Return to Trip Reports