JSI to TS - 12/28-12/29/2013

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

JSI to TS - 12/28-12/29/2013

Postby DirtRoadRunner » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:48 pm

I just got back from hiking this classic section of trail. Despite dayhiking in the Taum Sauk area probably a half-dozen times, and hiking most of the old Boy Scout trail from TS to Proffit Mountain, I had never hiked the Ozark Trail between Devil's Tollgate and JSI. With a warm-ish weekend forecast, I decide to give it a shot.

I dropped a car at the top of Taum Sauk and my wife gave me a lift to the Scour Trail trailhead along N. The hike was beautiful. Unlike most hikes in Missouri, which are completely under a forest canopy, this trail's location on the mountain tops, or mountainsides though glades, allows panoramic views for mile after mile. It is of course a rough trail - very rocky due to the terrain. I was also surprised how unused it seemed between JSI and Devil's Tollgate, as there were few footprints of other signs of recent use along the crest of Proffit Mountain. I only saw 2 other hikers (despite taking this trail on a particularity nice Saturday), and camped along Taum Sauk Creek, just downstream from Devil's Tollgate. After a frosty night (freezing rain on my tent), I woke up and hiked back to my car.

FYI - I found a lot of what appeared to be feral hog damage where the trail first drops down to Taum Sauk Creek. There is also a electric fence along the trail as it comes off of Proffit Mountain. I'm assuming it is to keep the hogs out of the glades. While I didn't see or hear any animals, it appears they are present in the area. This is unfortunate, as they have already done quite a bit of damage to the Bell Mountain Wilderness.

Proffit Mountain Electric Fence:

Open Glades & Shortleaf Pine:

Campsite:

Sunset:
DirtRoadRunner

Re: JSI to TS - 12/28-12/29/2013

Postby mike » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:28 am

Nice report and pics. One of my favorite sections of the trail.

Mike
mike

Re: JSI to TS - 12/28-12/29/2013

Postby n3870v » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Looks like a nice area - thanks for the report and pics.

Hog sightings and damagae areas can be reported to MO dept of Conservation, Mark McClain at 573-223-4525. They are working hard with landowners and other organizations to get rid of them, but the terrain and their fast productivity are making it a difficult task.

N3870V
n3870v

Return to Trip Reports