Berryman !!!! 10/26

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Berryman !!!! 10/26

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:04 pm

Oh how sweet it is to ride a bicycle on the Berryman Trail!
Perfect shape! Downhilly/Flowy/Rooty/Rocky/Uphilly! Yup, a little something for everyone. No trees down. Best shape I have ever seen the Berryman since oh I would say at least 2005 or 2006.
Bikes have ridden in a sweet line in the few leaves that have fallen. A little rain moving in the next couple days will probably knock down more leaves...
Maybe only one or two places where a briar tried like hell to get me...but they missed...and I went back and snapped their little prickly wrists.
GETCHASUM SOON!
Jim

Re: Berryman !!!! 10/26

Postby n3870v » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Jim:

I have never ridden Berryman, but have considered it. I see you are from O'fallon, have you ridden the trails at Indian Camp Creek Park near Wentzville? If so, how does Berryman Trail compare to Indian Camp Creek Park trails for riding?

Thanks - Sal
n3870v

Postby Jim » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:51 am

Yup. No comparison really to ICCP. More of a mix between Lost Valley/Matson/Greensfelder. Berryman is a big loop. For the first timer I would say go to Berryman Campground. Go Clockwise (North) out the far end of the campground past the parking lot. The First Trail intersection is The OT Courtois Section - Stay Right or you end up at Hwy 8. Staying right at the connector it is 8 miles to Floyd Tower road(CR 205/USFS-2265). That is one of the newer sections. A year round spring is located on this section (mile 7) (Beacher Spring - AKA Artesian Well - I fill my bottles direct from the pipe.) Another mile or so of climbing brings you to Floyd Tower(CR 205/USFS-2265).
If you decide to venture over Floyd Tower toward Harmon Spring you will find even more of the same trail conditions up to the OT connection to the Courtois (aka toward Bass River Resort). The Berryman Trail Turns - Right toward Brazil Creek. This section is much like the Berryman of old. Quite a bit more rutted also somewhat ribboned up with old logging roads. This section brings you to Hwy W and Brazil Creek CG.
Trail crosses straight over the highway and up the other ridge. Another ~10 miles you are at back at Bman CG. This section is has some big climbs, and ripping downhills. OTA/GORC are working to rehab this section over the next year. Take a copy of the GORC Map(http://gorctrails.com/trails/berryman). It has the USFS roads that connect to the trail from the backbone roads of Shirley Ridge/Floyd Tower/Hwy W. While many of these roads are shown, they are not all maintained, but they will get you to the main gravel should you need bail out options.
Take plenty of water, and basic survival gear should you find yourself in a tricky situation. I have been through the wringer with Berryman a few times and can attest that it will eat your lunch for you, and sometimes it will eat your bike.
While the tread and trail design makes this a pretty much Beginner trail, the distance, remote setting make this an Intermediate trail in my view.
I recommend taking a riding partner and leaving your travel/ride plans with a friend/spouse.

By all means - GETCHASUM!!!

This weekend is the Ozark Trail 100 Ultra running race. I would expect them into Berryman overnight Saturday and most of the morning Sunday. They finish at Bass River Resort.
Jim

Postby n3870v » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:28 am

Thanks Jim - I will have to give it a try
n3870v

Return to Trip Reports