Bell to "the bluff" and back

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Bell to "the bluff" and back

Postby drewb » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:21 pm

I have been excited to take and share this trip. My GF and I took this trip on the weekend of March 23. Forcast was for rain most of Friday and Saturday Night. A stalled front made forcasting difficult, but we commited anyway. Started around 7:30pm on Friday night at HWY A, and hiked up to Bell to camp for the night. Stayed in the first campsite, right off the trail. Next morning, we rushed breaking down camp to get going by 10am. Rain was moving in, but only sprinkled for the first 10min of the Hike. We headed toward N Bell lot, then hiked the gravel road out to HWY A. Once on A,we hiked to HWY 32, and headed over to Johnson MT road. The night before I cached 2 gallons of water at 32 and Johnson MT road, so we stopped to fill water, and eat lunch. From there is was 3miles up Johnson MT gravel road to our camp on Johnson MT. I was unsure about walking 6 miles of gravel and shoulder, but it turned out to be a great, fast moving hike. Pretty enjoyable from our standpoint. Total time was 5 hrs from Bell to the bluff on johnson Mt. Sun set was kind of a bummer with rain clouds still sticking around, but it eventually cleared and the stars were out in full force that night. Sunday, we awoke in thick fog, and tons of gaggaling turkeys. On the trail by 10, we were stoked for the long day ahead. We hiked down to Council Bluff Lake via an ATV trail, then over to Enough via the lake trail. Enough has pit toilet facilities. From there, we continued the lake trail a short bit to the enough savannah cut-off. We walked the freshly mowed cut off to the trace creek section, just a touch north of the S. trace/ Middlefork intersection. From here to HWY A we cruised the south Trace section. Very enjoyable and streious section of trail. Had a pack off lunch break at HWY 32 crossing of the S. Trace.

When putting together the trip, my main objective was to camp on Bell and Johnson Mt during the same weekend. I am also a big fan of loops. This trip was the conclusion of what I arrived at. I have a few PDF maps of the trip, but am unable to load them.
drewb

Re: Bell to "the bluff" and back

Postby aroth87 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Wow, that's a pretty creative trip. I prefer loops as well, some people are fine doing out-and-back trips but I'm not one of them. It sounds like a really interesting hike and I'd like to do it sometime. I've been to Council Bluff a few times and Johnson Mt always looked interesting, I guess I never realized it was so close to Bell Mt and would never had though you could hike between them with such relative ease. Thanks for sharing!

Have you tried saving the maps as a jpg? If you can't get them to upload do you know the approximate mileage of the loop you hiked?

Adam
My Photos

"we see the future in leaping flames, making plans in their enchantment which in the brash light of day seem foolhardy" -Sigurd Olson
aroth87

Postby drewb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:04 am

This pic gives you an idea of the milage. Day 2 was about 10 miles, Day 3 was about 14.5, according to my judgement. Not sure how accurate that is. By my measurements, HWY A TH to HWY 32 on the south trace is 6-7 miles. The sign at TH shows 5.8 for that piece. I added it all up on GoogleEarth, and got 28 miles.

Day 3 was long, but very satisfying. It took us 7hr all in to get to the parking lot.
Attachments
333333333BELL.jpg
333333333BELL.jpg (95.68 KiB) Viewed 3347 times
drewb

Postby aroth87 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Great, thanks for the info!

Adam
My Photos

"we see the future in leaping flames, making plans in their enchantment which in the brash light of day seem foolhardy" -Sigurd Olson
aroth87

Postby JackW » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Used to do the maintenance on the S. Trace section, Hwy 32 to A. I think it's closer to 8 miles with all the ups and downs. Of course, I'd usually do a side trip to Peter Cave, which adds a mile or so. And yes, that section of trail is very strenuous, having done several one-day, out-and-back maintenance trips that were very exhausting. Glad to hear your trip went well...
JackW

Return to Trip Reports