Middlefork - Council Bluff

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Middlefork - Council Bluff

Postby Honch » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:56 am

Beginning at the DD/32 trailhead, I rode a few miles of the MiddleFork trail and connected to Council Bluff, did a loop of the lake and returned for 20 miles. Riding on a single speed I was concerned about a remote trail being in good enough shape to do the ride. I can easily say that the trails are extremely well maintained and really a pleasure to ride. For bikers: The middle fork is a much easier ride than the Council Bluff trail. While CB doesn't have much elevation change, the route itself is rougher. Middlefork is a fairly smooth, gradual trek with very scenic areas. I would highly recommend the next time any local riders head to Council Bluff, they add about 7 miles to their trip and ride this section. It's well marked from the trailhead. Ride about 300 feet into the woods where there is a left/right intersection, make a left and follow the signs to Council Bluff.

I encountered about 6 felled trees that required me to life the bike over them, mostly on the SB trail. At this time of year I expect this as we normally do not have trails as rideable as they are in late March / early April

Great job OTA
Honch

Re: Middlefork - Council Bluff

Postby Honch » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:59 am

One additional thing, an OTA ranger left a note on my car and another in the parking lot, stating that he/she hoped we enjoyed the trail. It's nice to know that rangers are looking out over the trailheads while we are off in the woods. Like many riders, I worry about a car break in when 20 miles from my car in a remote national park. Additional kudos
Honch

Re: Middlefork - Council Bluff

Postby Jim » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:49 am

Honch - Glad you enjoyed the trails. On your next trip, make a right from the DD/32 TH. The real deal John Roth Memorial "Middle Fork" is out there waiting for ya. It's 100 times better than the little section you rode down to CB. ;)

Trace Creek to the North of the CB connector, aka "North Trace" is a great out and back. South Trace is good, but the hills will eat your lunch in a short 14 round trip.

Courtois section even further to the North is a great time, tie it up with a a trip around Berryman Trail - ~25 mile loop. Berryman is the perfect place to get a feel for what the OTA does for the trail. Berryman is a 70+ year old trail, that is currently undergoing a revitalization of sorts. My suggestion for a ride would be to start at Berryman CG near Hwy 8, and travel counter clockwise. You will get to see the older sections of trail and then the rebuilt sections as you finish. GORC(Gateway Off-road Cyclists) has recently adopted the Eastern section and will begin a maintenance regimen this year to continue to refresher. Gonna be an amazing place to ride.

PS.. CB and MF can be ridden nearly year round as they drain quickly. On just about any given Saturday/Sunday this winter it was tough to get a parking space at the TH, and believe it or not...you may not see a single bike, equestrian or hiker on the trail. Just know they are out there and ride with that in mind.

Send me a message if your looking for other trail riding data.
Jim

Return to Trip Reports