Ticks...

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Ticks...

Postby jim@dianasgrove.com » Tue May 01, 2007 6:38 pm

I've been reading along with all the postings, and I thought as we are starting to move into the high tick seasons of this year, this might be a great time to discuss what we each do to avoid or repel these many legged hitchhikers that live on the paths that we tread.
Being very chemical sensitive, I stay away from the usual varieties of repellents and instead use a mixture of Dr Bronner's peppermint soap and a few drops of lavender esential oil. This has been very effective for the past two years. I still get them on me, but no has lodged or started a late breakfast yet !!
love like there is no tomorrow,
Jim
jim@dianasgrove.com

Ticks

Postby smkybr » Tue May 01, 2007 10:28 pm

That Doc Bronner's soap is magic. Useful for a lot of tasks. I will check out that recipe for sure. I used to make my living working in the timber and always exposed to blood loving critters. I attended a Lyme's disease prevention workshop and they were promoting Permanone. Saying one application to your clothing would kill ticks for six weeks even if you washed the clothes treated, daily! And I thought "Do I want something that powerful rubbing on my skin?" I think not. And I am skeptical about using too much DEET. After applying DEET to my skin I can taste it in my saliva. After all, your skin is your largest organ. Dermal contamination is the number one way for chemicals to enter your body when you mess with pesticides. Ticks can wait on a meal (victim) for two years and live thirty days under water at 32 degees. So they are tough critters!! My supervisor used to use Flower of Sulphur on his legs. That seemed to work. I guess staying out of their environment is the best way of avoiding the pesky varmints.
smkybr

Postby John » Tue May 01, 2007 11:14 pm

I'll have to look into Doc Bronner soap / lavender oil. I've used DEET, Permanone and even duct tape. But there's always some tick that will land on a piece of untreated clothing, follow me home and hide out in the laundry basket. I once drove 100 miles back from the trail, threw my clothes into the hamper, took a shower, inspected for ticks (none found)-- and the next day I found a tick climbing up Mrs. Roth's neck after she had done the laundry. Damn thing hid in my clothes and high-jacked a ride while she was sorting the lights and darks. Freaked her out.

I'm out in the woods constantly, and my new routine is to jump in the Courtois Creek after I get back from an outing-- clothes and all. I inspect for ticks, pull off any I find (pretty easy to do the first few hours, and I think they can't transmit lyme in that period, but I'm not positive), then let the clothes dry in the sun. Works pretty well, although it isn't much help on a backpacking trip.

I've just learned to put up with them. Chiggers, too. (English plantain takes away the itch, thank goodness).
John

Postby ChrisS » Wed May 02, 2007 7:14 am

I'm kinda with john on this one.

I am such a tick magnet about the only thing that I have found to work is just not go out into the woods. That isn't really an option with us so we just go anyway. I just look at it like the price I pay for doing what I enjoy I guess.
ChrisS

Postby laforbes » Wed May 02, 2007 8:50 am

Through the years of "tick pulling" I don't freak out too much when I do have a tick invasion, although I do feel creepy throughout the night after finding a few ticks.
I just grab the tick and pull it off, don't think too much about how gross they are.
I do have trouble with itching and welting afterwards. I've been using After Bite the Itch Eraser. I call it the itch stick.
My group had several ticks this past weekend after riding the Trace Creek Section.
laforbes

Postby campdoctor » Thu May 03, 2007 8:20 pm

My avoid tick and avoid poison ivy techniques are pretty similar...long pants, long sleeves, and gaiters. And I have this Burt's Bees insect repellant that I infinitely prefer to any kind of chemicals...it has lemon grass and soybean oil, so it smells a little strong at first but I like the smell compared to Off and such.

I did buy a Buzz Off shirt which seems to help.

So far I have only found one on me, and oddly that was in February, I think.

Linda
Proud mama of the 4 miles of the Blair Creek section from 106 north.
campdoctor

Postby Coldspring » Thu May 03, 2007 10:58 pm

I've found that the best way for me to avoid ticks, chiggers, poison ivy, and spider webs during the hot summer is to tie a long rope on my canoe and go upstream. Keeps my legs, and arms, exercised, and the scenery is great. I've never had to watch for snapping turtles on the trail though.
Coldspring

Postby Lightweight Bob » Thu May 17, 2007 7:44 pm

Weighing the risk of Lyme disease against the risk of possible cancer or (who knows what else?) from DEET and other chemicals, personally I choose to risk Lyme disease. I figure that most of the time if I'm wearing shorts, I can feel the ticks tickling my leg hairs and have been able to pull them off when they're still crawling many times in the past. When I get to camp, I do periodic tick inspections and that seems to work most of the time. After a Boy Scout trip many years ago when I got about ten thousand pinhead-sized ticks on my legs and around my waistline, and I'm long past being grossed out by them.
Hike slow, hike far...
Lightweight Bob

Postby John » Wed May 23, 2007 8:41 am

I got an email from Jody R. about tick removal:

"Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and let it stay on the repulsive insect for a few seconds (15-20), after which the tick will come out on it's own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. "

I tried it yesterday with Dawn detergent. It WORKED! Given the number of ticks I remove each year, this is major-league cool.
John

Return to Trip Reports