Council Bluff to Bell Mountain Loop

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Council Bluff to Bell Mountain Loop

Postby Donald » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:34 pm

First backpacking adventure, and first hike on the Ozark Trail. My gratitude is immense!

I was amazed at how clear and wide the trailway was through the big hardwoods north of Hwy 32. This section remains with me as a real beauty.

Somewhere south of Hwy 32 (closer to 32 than to Hwy A), hiking southward along an area that was a bit more weedy, I saw on the right of the trail a standing dead tree that had been clawed into and honeycombs on the ground beneath it.

All of the branches and creeks along the trail had plenty of water, and Joe's Creek on the Bell Mountain Loop made for a perfectly refreshing rest.

With the high temperatures this first week of October being in the low 80s, mosquitos were bad. The one tick I found crawling my pant leg seemed to be the last holdout of summer.

Heat, mosquitos, a beary tree... none will dissuade my return!

Thank you OTA!
Donald

Re: Council Bluff to Bell Mountain Loop

Postby Ed Kindley » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks for the kudos to our volunteers who maintain that stretch of
trail (Ron, Sara, Jon, Kyle, Jeff). It's rewarding to get feedback for
all the hard work they and other do to make the OT a great experience
for folks who enjoy the outdoors. Do keep us posted on your future
hikes as to trail needs, we value your feedback which helps us keep
the trail in tip-top shape!
Ed/AAT TraceCreek Area Coord.
Ed Kindley

Postby aroth87 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Glad you had a great hike, it was an awesome weekend for it. You picked a great section of the trail too, I love Bell Mt! How were the fall colors in the Ozarks? They're nothing too special up here in KC yet, I wandered all over Shawnee Mission Park today looking for good photos and there's still a lot of greenery.

Adam
My Photos

"we see the future in leaping flames, making plans in their enchantment which in the brash light of day seem foolhardy" -Sigurd Olson
aroth87

Postby Donald » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:45 am

Re: Fall Colors... a lot of greenery here, too, as confirmed by a couple of these pictures taken Wednesday and Thursday (10/5,6). They're a changin' though!

http://gallery.me.com/das110/100065
Donald

Return to Trip Reports