Blair Creek Section-April 28

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Blair Creek Section-April 28

Postby smkybr » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:24 pm

Our hike of the Blair Creek Section began when my hiking partner and wife, Laurel, and our dog, Cheney, camped Friday night at Owl's Bend Campground on the Current River (HWY 106). We were welcomed with a light rain that was pattering on the tent, which in turn, made for a very soothing night's sleep.

We were up at daylight, ate breakfast, broke camp and drove to the Blair Fen Trailhead on CR 235 in Shannon County. After shuttling two other backpacker's we hit the trail at 9:30 a.m. The side trail into Blair Raised Fen is nice and provided for a peaceful moment on the trail. The first waterfall is definetely a WOW Spot! Spend an extra minute or two here!

A word of caution: Just past Laxton Hollow Trail Signpost, (10.90 mile) you'll come to a timber sale in progress where the skidding of the timber has erased the trail. Some trees with trail markers have been cut, causing quite a distance from marker to marker. I noticed a couple of markers were just laying on tree stumps. Once full foliage occurs the few markers will be hard to see and unreliable. The road that runs down the ridge to Cedar Point has almost no markers. I was glad I had my OT Trail book to help with my confusion. This is a good place to get lost for an unexperienced hiker. :?

Ticks, Ticks, and more Ticks especially in the grassy portions of the old fields on the trail.

The timber is still in the early stages of rebounding from the unusually late freeze. An 80 degree day on the south and west aspects of the hills can be very hot! NO SHADE!

There was an abundance of drinking water as most hollows and springs are flowing. We had two mid-calf creek crossings on Blair Creek--good time for a break and to wash off the ticks. :)

After a 19 mile hike, we made it back to Owl's Bend at 8:00 p.m.
Overall, this was a beautiful hike, especially the glade areas that were in bloom with many varieties of wildflowers.
smkybr

Re: Blair Creek Section-April 28

Postby ChrisS » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:11 am

smkybr wrote: The side trail into Blair Raised Fen is nice and provided for a peaceful moment on the trail. The first waterfall is definetely a WOW Spot! Spend an extra minute or two here!

I've only been there once, but I really thought that stretch is one of the best on the trail

smkybr wrote: A word of caution: Just past Laxton Hollow Trail Signpost, (10.90 mile) you'll come to a timber sale in progress where the skidding of the timber has erased the trail. Some trees with trail markers have been cut, causing quite a distance from marker to marker. I noticed a couple of markers were just laying on tree stumps. Once full foliage occurs the few markers will be hard to see and unreliable. The road that runs down the ridge to Cedar Point has almost no markers. I was glad I had my OT Trail book to help with my confusion. This is a good place to get lost for an unexperienced hiker. :?

We were there about a month ago and it wasn't too bad. However while enquiring with the pioneer forest about a couple other things, I got this.

We have been harvesting along the trail near Laxton Hollow and Cedar Point. Did you find any recently felled trees down? I had another talk with the loggers about that and I specifically marked the trees along the trail this time. I haven't been back to walk the trail yet so an update would be appreciated.

So they are aware of the disruption and are trying to keep the trail intact during the harvest. I will send them your update though to make sure they know the status of it.
ChrisS

Postby John » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: timber cuts

I just got this from Jered Hayes, a Pioneer Forest forester (and OTA member):

"We will take care of what is going on. Right now we are looking at a week to ten days to finish up in the area you are talking about. I realize it is a pain but it would do us no good to hang signs right now because they tend to be targets for the loggers. I have just talked with our man on that sale and he and I will be out late next week after the crews are done to inspect the trail and fix what needs to be fixed.

"If there is tread damage we will probably need some help. The signs I will take care of. The tops and branches in the trail we will get the loggers to clear. I will get back to you when I have been out there and let you know what the status is. "

I'll post this to the 'conditions' forum as well.
John

Return to Trip Reports