Parking caution in "remote" locations

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Parking caution in "remote" locations

Postby Ed Kindley » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:16 pm

I know, it happens on shopping center parking lots and other places, but always nice to be reminded
that it can happen on OT parking areas too. Keep all "goodies" out of sight, at least to remove the
obvious temptations, and of course lock up!

An OT volunteer who was at the Huzzah CA area, car park/unattended camp site on the north side of
the Courtois river wrote today:
I was at my section of the trail (Courtois) yesterday. I believe I stopped some guys that were going to attempt to break into my truck which was parked at the courtois camp ground. I reported this to the attendant at the ranger station at onodoga cave. He said they where having trouble with such and recommended parking in their parking lot. I do not want to discourage anybody from hiking around there but this is just a heads up.
Ed Kindley

Re: Parking caution in "remote" locations

Postby ImWithSadie » Mon May 09, 2011 4:53 pm

I'm curious how common break-ins are, especially around the Potosi area. Am I rolling the dice when I park at the trailhead - or is it really more like a shopping center parking lot - the break-in happens when you have really bad luck?

(I can deal with a broken window, but I'm actually more concerned someone will cut my gas line)
ImWithSadie

Postby Ed Kindley » Mon May 09, 2011 6:00 pm

Have only heard of an occas. break-in at the Berryman Campground, not sure
of the circumstances (suspect a lone car parked with visible stuff to grab); I've
parked at the Hwy 8 TH several times for a couple hours with no problem but
whose to say.....I haven't heard of cars being "vandelized", just windows broken
and stuff stolen. Anybody else have info to offer here?
Ed Kindley

Postby JackW » Tue May 10, 2011 10:26 pm

Have parked at Hwy A trailhead numerous times in the last few years and not had single problem, nor have I heard of any. this is a very visible spot just off the highway, but traffic is very light.
JackW

Postby Big Jim Mac » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:16 pm

I've done Berryman, DD trailhead and that Onondaga area with no problems so far. I hear far worse stories from Chubb Trail and Green Rock trailheads in St. Louis, folks get robbed there regularly.
Big Jim Mac

Postby jonc » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:25 pm

I estimate that I have been camping over the weekends at least 650 (minimum) weekends in the last 25 years (not including week long vacations). Probably about 5 years of this (130 weekends) was spent on weekend backpacking trips often leaving my car in various trailheads in NW AR and SE MO. I have never had a problem, but I have heard of plenty who have. I am long overdue. It would not bother me a bit to come back to my vehicle and see a window knocked out...I leave nothing of value (to me). It would bother me to see my vehicle completely trashed to the point I could not get back home.

Jon
jonc

Return to Trip Reports