Taum Sauk 3/5-3/6/2011 Pics added 3/9

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Taum Sauk 3/5-3/6/2011 Pics added 3/9

Postby mike » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:46 pm

Sometimes everything falls into place so that one gets the opportunity to experience something really awesome. This was one of those times! I had been waiting for some time for a big rain to come through on a Friday night so I could hike in and catch Mina Sauk Falls really flowing and it finally happened.

My 16 year old nephew and I left Arkansas before 6:00AM on Saturday in a cold rain heading for the Hwy N trailhead at Johnson Shut-Ins. When we arrived, a bit before 9:00AM, the rain had stopped so we quickly got started getting our gear together so we could get on the trail. Another backpacker pulled in the lot just before we headed out. He was also headed for the falls.

Just a short distance up the trail from the parking lot I noticed a couple of tents setup off the trail a ways and some folks milling around. I would bet they had an interesting night if the weather there had been anything like it was in Arkansas.

The weather forecast had called for the skies to clear Saturday but it never happened. As we gained elevation the clouds closed in on us and in places our visibility was limited to a few hundred feet. I was really hoping it would clear off so my nephew could experience the awesome views from the mountain tops.

The crossings of Taum Sauk creek were definitely wet. The first one was a little over knee deep and really rolling with the second not quite as deep. The ice cold water actually felt pretty good for a minute but we didn’t tarry getting dry socks and boots back on.

We finally made it to the falls a little after 4:00PM and it was spectacular. We took some pictures from the bottom of the falls then scrambled up to the top where the trail splits. There we met a couple that had hiked down from the parking lot at Taum Sauk Park. They inquired about our hike in and about the difficulty of the trail on to Devils Tollgate. They were a friendly couple and we enjoyed the brief chat with them.

After taking a few more pictures from the top of the fall we headed on up the trail to the campground at the park. We stopped on the way to filter some water so it was close to 6:00PM when we arrived. We setup the tent, fixed supper, and hit the sack by 7:30.

I didn’t check the time but sometime not too long after we sacked out the wind picked up and literally howled for a few hours. It rattled the tent walls and had me appreciating my nice warm bag since the temperature had dropped below freezing.

We awoke to a cold morning with a stiff breeze and a still overcast sky. I had really thought the way the wind had blown during the night the front had passed through and we would have the clear skies that had been forecast. Maybe later.

We were packed up and back on the trail shortly after 8:00AM. We hiked over to the high point plaque took a couple of pics then headed back down to the fall. The volume of water coming over the fall had subsided considerably. It was still impressive but not like when we first arrived. The decrease in flow was even more obvious when we got to the first creek crossing where we were able to “rock hop” instead of wade. The next crossing was still deep enough that we had to wade but was down at least a foot from the previous afternoon. Being a flatlander it still amazes me how fast the water gets away in the hills. Back home it looks like a lake.

About 11:00AM I started to notice a few blue patches in the sky. By noon we were chilled out on the rocks on Ketcherside Mountain soaking up some rays and enjoying a gorgeous view. My nephew was amazed at what he had been walking through the day before but couldn’t see. Thank you Mother Nature!

The rest of the hike was under crystal clear skies and we clicked off the miles a little quicker than I would have had I been solo. I think the nephew had his girl friend on his mind and since I had him leading on the return he kept picking up the pace. We arrived back at the trailhead a little after 3:30PM.

This was another wonderful weekend spent on the Ozark Trail. It was good to see some others enjoying the trail too.

At the Trail Head ready to go

Austin crossing the creek

Made it!!!

Devils Tollgate

First view of Mina Sauk

Mina Sauk from bottom

Mina Sauk

Mina Sauk

View of Reservoir

Finally cleared off

Lunch Break on the Glades
Last edited by mike on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike

Re: Taum Sauk 3/5-3/6/2011

Postby bikehikefish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:34 pm

Nice report. Thanks!
bikehikefish

Postby pipsin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:40 pm

ENVIOUS! I've often wondered how amazing it would be to see Mina Sauk at full-flow. The times I've been on that section it has been bone dry - typically in the Fall. Thanks for sharing your trip report. Would love to see some pics - any way to share those?

Mitchell
pipsin

Postby mike » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:50 am

I do have pics of all my hikes. I'll make an effort to figure out how to post them here.
mike

Postby ToddH » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Your best bet for photos is to put them somewhere else, like flickr or picasa, and then post a link.

ToddH
ToddH

Postby pipsin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:28 pm

mike wrote:I do have pics of all my hikes. I'll make an effort to figure out how to post them here.

Thanks for your reply. If you have to go through a lot of trouble...don't do it for my benefit. I'll just one day have to plan a trip to Mina Sauk with loads of rain in the forecast.

Thanks again,

Mitchell
pipsin

Re: Taum Sauk 3/5-3/6/2011 Pics added 3/9

Postby mike » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Added a few pics to the bottom of the post. Over the next few days I plan to edit my previous trip reports and add pics now that I know how.
mike

Postby pipsin » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed the pics of the falls.

Mitchell
pipsin

Postby tenpoun1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Is that a father and son team. Looks great. Thanks for sharing with all of us here
tenpoun1

Return to Trip Reports