Trip Report, Current River Section

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Trip Report, Current River Section

Postby Big Smooth » Wed May 26, 2010 1:42 pm

A group of 4 of us set out to hike the current river sections of the OT early in the afternoon of 5-14. We parked near the rocky falls access area. The hike started well. We made good time a fortunately the rain had subsided by early afternoon. We stumbled upon a Bobcat on the rocks and shut-ins on Indian creek. The sound of the water must have kept it from hearing us. We only saw it for a few seconds before it noticed us and ran off. We soldiered onto the Klepzig Mill and hung around taking "action shots" with our cameras. The first night we ended up camping not far from the Mill. The next day some in our group wanted to turn back because we didn't park a car at the end of the trail near Van Buren. This proved to be impossible as Rocky had swollen full of rain water. The evening of 5-14 was characterized by extremely heavy storms and lighting. Luckily I had a tent. The 3 others were in hammocks with tarps rigged over the top. 2 of the hammock set-up's were epic failures and I ended up with a roommate at about 3 a.m. It rain for most of the day on Saturday. We came across highway NN and it was barricaded off because of about 3 ft of water rushing over the road. We took off our boots and waded through it to the other side and got back into the sticks. We then had to cross a couple of creeks, one of which proved very challenging. We ended up tyeing a rope across as the water was moving pretty fast and was waist deep at some points. The day before I'd bet we could have jumped across. Shortly thereafter we came to the rocky falls side trail. We decided to take it and we could hear water running over the falls from about a quarter of a mile away. We were disappointed not to find any sweet trail magic at the falls but were pleasantly surprised to see a wedding under way on the other side of the water. Made it to the top of Stegall and found another group there. We had them take a few action shots of us. Several river crossings later we set up camp on just outside of the Peck Ranch. Being extremely tired and drinking a little whiskey helped me sleep this night...I'm sure the lack of a torrential downpour helped as well. The last 4-5 miles had a lot of downed trees, however we did see some trail volunteers at Pike Creek and let them know about what we had seen. Once out of the woods we hitched a ride from a Water Patrol office to Van Buren. He had to work and couldn't drive us the 35 miles back to our car. I was ready to walk the roads back to the car and hopefully hitch our way, but one person in our group had a flight leaving STL at 6:00. So we bought a ride from The Rosecliff Lodge. They only charged us $120..what a bargain, not! In the end it was a good trip and we all made it home in plenty of time for flights, etc. I wish my boots would stay dry for at least one hiking trip in my life.
Big Smooth

Re: Trip Report, Current River Section

Postby Big Smooth » Thu May 27, 2010 9:36 pm

We didn't put in at the Rocky Falls area. I don't know why I put that. We put in near poweder mill.
Big Smooth

Postby randyanderson » Sat May 29, 2010 11:31 am

Soooo, the hammockers didn't know how to set up a tarp?
randyanderson

Postby Big Smooth » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:59 pm

They did set up tarps. The storms were incredible that night. Of the 3 that put up tarps, only the Eagle Scout's stayed true throughout the night. I'll stick with my tent even if it is heavier.
Big Smooth

Postby randyanderson » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:35 pm

I was just curious. I'm an ex-tenter. Converted to hammockery about a year and a half ago. I've rode out some pretty good storms in the hammock and have always been dryer then I ever was in my tent, more comfy also.

Randy
randyanderson

Return to Trip Reports