Courtois Section

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Courtois Section

Postby DaveN » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:21 pm

My 20 year old son and I did an out and back from the North Huzzah Trailhead at Onandoga state park to Bass' Resort on March 15-16. The trail was in fantastic shape, well marked, lots of water and the crossing at the Courtois was only about knee deep. We saw no other hikers the whole trip, but did see signs of some horse traffic. Bass' was fantastic as well, we were the only campers in the campground, the store was open and the showers were going which was great. The night was fine, we had 35* sleeping bags and were comfortable. It was the first backpacking trip my son or I have done and we both loved it. I let him lead the whole trip, which I regretted a bit after the trip. We left Monday at 9:15AM from the North Huzzah Trailhead and got to Bass' at about 3:20PM, the next day we left at 9:00AM and made it back to the North Trailhead at 3:00PM. I thought this pace was a little fast for my 52 year old body and he didn't agree with me until the following day after we got back, so it was good learning experience for both of us. We're planning another trip in May from the North Bell TH to the Highway J TH (about a 40 miler). Can anybody give me any advice about this trip? Is the trail as clearly marked as the Courtois section? Also, will the water sources be as plentiful? Anyway, glad I live in Missouri and can still take advantage of the great trails we have.
DaveN

Re: Courtois Section

Postby Jim » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:55 am

The trail is marked ok, just be mindful of the locations noted in the trip planner. Water should be easy enough along your route during May...maybe a bit more than you want...then it is Spring in Missouri...;)

We have done the 22 miles from Bell North to Council Bluff Lake in 2 days with a 2 year old. Easy enough, I would recommend a stash of fresh water and other assorted supplies at the DD and 32 Trailhead, sure beats packing it and filtering...ps..good place to stash a cold drink in a cooler. Will you be hiking to Brushy Creek? Its a bit a hike from the trailhead at Hwy J.

I would forego camping near the Trailhead(DD/32) as the trucks running Hwy 32 seem to enjoy employing the "Jake Brake" at all hours...
Jim

Postby DaveN » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:30 pm

Good point about the water supply and it being spring, actually it is supposed to be a wet May. "I would recommend a stash of fresh water and other assorted supplies at the DD and 32 Trailhead" This sounds like a great idea. So do you just leave the 'critter-proof' cooler behind a tree or something?
DaveN

Postby aroth87 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:59 pm

If you can find a 5 gallon bucket that has the lid that snaps back on I would imagine they would work great. They also come in smaller sizes if you don't need that kind of capacity. I'm not sure how easy they are to find because my Dad has all kinds laying around from various projects over the years but I know Lowes has empty paint cans, so its a good bet they have buckets too.

To be honest, I've never cached water or supplies before. I've never had an issue treating water from creeks and I can carry my beverage of choice in a flask... HYOH

Adam
My Photos

"we see the future in leaping flames, making plans in their enchantment which in the brash light of day seem foolhardy" -Sigurd Olson
aroth87

Postby Jim » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:38 am

Buckets are fine for food and what not. I just set a gallon jug of water behind a tree out of sight. The creeks in the area are ok, however, with all of the tailings ponds nearby I am leary...Doe Run didn't get a bad rap because they were enviro- friendly...just sayin'.
Just remember to pack out your trash and return for your bucket....
Jim

Postby DaveN » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:29 pm

I do have some 5 gal. buckets that we use for float trips so I'll probably use one of those if we stash something. This is going to be a 4 day trip so it may not be that neccessary although it would cool to stash some 'luxury' food/drink. Thanks for the ideas guys and when we get back I'll post another report to let you know how it went.

Dave
DaveN

Postby Jim » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:58 am

FWIW Dave, I would start my trip at J and Hike to Bell as the views from Bell make you wanna spend a night there. Best views of the entire trip.
Jim

Return to Trip Reports