Blair Creek Section: Owls Bend to Pogue Hollow

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Blair Creek Section: Owls Bend to Pogue Hollow

Postby BossHog » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:48 pm

Sunday 9/28: Another slow stroll along this beauty. The difference in this section of trail and my Saturday hike on Middle Fork is interesting. Blair Creek section is foot-only, so it more windy, narrow, steep, and rocky. This also means the itchy/scratchy factor is much higher, as I was pretty well walking through grasses, weeds, and the like the entire time. Also a lot more big trees down on this section; the kind where little side trails have developed just to get around them. A few are huge and the thought of cutting through them seems really tough. Despite the vegetation growth and downed trees, overall the trail is well-marked and easy to follow. The only catch may be at Little Bloom Creek where it took a bit of time to find where the trail crosses the creek. The key is to hike in the creek bed a short distance……keep that in mind and you will find it. This trail is a gem. The vistas from the bluffs looking out over the Current River valley are absolutely awesome. And unlike my first backpack trip on Blair years ago where I had a schedule to keep, this time I lounged around up there for a good long while. Was amazed at the size of some of the white oaks further down the trail – very impressive. Saw no one else on the trail, and only one boat on the River; that of the motored variety that assaulted my ears for 10 minutes. The trailhead is great, and the little extension that the OTA built from the parking lot is so cool. OTA has turned the OT into a truly great trail. Here’s to the future of the Trail, the organization, and the many volunteers – thanks for making this weekend's hikes good ones!
BossHog

Re: Blair Creek Section: Owls Bend to Pogue Hollow

Postby Ed Kindley » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:41 am

Hey BossHog: Thanks for your positive comments re. our beautiful OZARK TRAIL. Remember
you can post those trees-down reports on: sawyer@ozarktrail.com and the reports go directly
to our sawyer coordinator, Matt Atnip. Even greater if the deadfall locations could be marked on
a map and forwarded along with the verbal report, so our sawyers know just where to find this
stuff. I've added your note to our sawyers "to do" list which goes out weekly, hope someone in
your area will respoond shortly and get those big ones cut. Regards! Ed Kindley
Ed Kindley

Postby Big Jim Mac » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:20 pm

Just a thought, but regarding those big downed trees. Maybe we should take a tip from the mountain bike trails and build ramps up and over them. That would keep the big guy around for a few more years for us to appreciate it. Could be done with smaller branches. The sawed logs always look ugly to me.
Big Jim Mac

Postby Bobcat » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:32 pm

One good thing about sawed logs is that if the trail doesn't get maintained for some time...growing up with limbs and bushes and the signs falling down...the easiest way to recognize it is by the big sawed-up logs forming a route through the forest.
Bobcat

Return to Trip Reports