Middle Fork Labor Day

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Middle Fork Labor Day

Postby Eolia Rich » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:58 am

The trail was in great shape. Neil, you did one heck of a job mowing. I like how you left the little bluestem in the places where it was growing.

There is a big tree that requires sawing just south of Hwy 32 a couple of hundred yards.

On a personal note: I carried too much weight again this time 50+ pounds (need better equipment and a new pack.

Plenty of water on this section of the trail making it perfect for a summer hike.

Sulphur, bug spray and a head net are required because of the knats.
Eolia Rich

Re: Middle Fork Labor Day

Postby John » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:38 pm

Glad to see the trail was in good shape (gnats aside). "Nate" was the mower-- I hope he can come back ,but since he's working on his degree at Mizzou, we won't find out until next spring. Hopefully the USFS funds will be there!

That tree south of 32--- yep, we need to get it. It's been so hot this summer we haven't had many sawyers willing to go, but as the weather cools off I know we'll get to it. Heck--- if I can get a swamper to email me I'll go out on Sunday! We'll get to that tree this fall for sure.

Pack weight is an issue with about anyone over the age of 24 or so... I know I had to trim down my pack a two years ago. It was a bit pricey to exchange my equipment, but the weight savings were worth it. I haven't updated my list in a while, but my through-hike equipment list for that trip is located here: http://ozarktrail.com/throughhike/gear.htm . My five-day pack with food and water was about 42 pounds; my pack empty of food and water was about 28. That's not ultralight, but it was light enough for me that spring!

Thanks for the report, Rich. I hope to see you on the trail one of these days.
John

Re: Middle Fork Labor Day

Postby aroth87 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:38 pm

John, I'll send you an email :).

I went for a 6 day backpacking trip in Colorado in early August and my pack weight with food at water at the beginning of the trip was under 30 lbs. If you want to see big weight reductions, really evaluate the "Big 3," tent, pack, and sleeping bag. You could also extend that to include your sleeping pad, but a lot of people aren't willing to compromise much on that particular item. I won't bore you much more unless you really want me to :P.

Adam
My Photos

"we see the future in leaping flames, making plans in their enchantment which in the brash light of day seem foolhardy" -Sigurd Olson
aroth87

Return to Trip Reports