Bell Mtn. to DD Parking Lot

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Bell Mtn. to DD Parking Lot

Postby Eolia Rich » Tue May 27, 2008 9:14 am

What a trip!

This was my sons (13 year old) and my first real backpacking trip.

Hit the trail at 9:00 am. after being dropped off by the shuttle. Came to a look out on top of Bell in a glade where you could see off both sides of the mountain. Even with the high humidty and clouds what a view. This is when we saw and heard the thunder clouds. Put on our rain gear (jacket only) and pack covers (garbage bag). It rained for a couple of hours.

The wild flowers were beautiful. I started taking pictures of them but stopped because there were so many different kinds and the rain was getting heavy.

Made Ottery Creek about 3:00 pm. Water about 8" deep.

Camped on the top iof the next ridge in a clear cut about 5:00pm.

Next morning up at 7:00 am broke camp and hit trail about 9:00 am.

Somehow missed TC 7 and walked all the way to where the gravel roads meet. I did not think we had walked that far. It took me a while to fiqure it out but we hiked back to the turn. BOY, DID I FEEL STUPID. HOW COULD I HAVE MISSED THE TURN. IF THERE WAS ONE SIGN THERE HAD TO BE 6. I must have seen the one on the left of the trail and missed the others on the right. We were trying to make up some ground as we were worried about the weather.

All and all the trail was marked very well.

Walked hard the rest of the trip execpt to filter water and eat at the padfield branch creek crossing. Finished at DD parking lot about 6:00pm.

Learned alot about backpacking, my son and myself on this trip.

We carried to much food, cooking equipment (which I plan on eliminating) and clothes. Our packs are external frame, 70's vintage that cut into your shoulders and are to large for my sons body. Although I think a big part was not being used to carring a backpack. Not as bad the second day even with more weight I had removed from my sons pack. My pack weighed 40 his 20.

I was so proud of my son. There were times that we was just wore out and thought he couldn't go on, but he re-grouped and pushed on. At one point where I was about spent, he took the lead and encouraged me to keep going.

Even with the blisters on my feet and losing 3 lbs. (actually a plus), and being exhausted to the point of collapsing, I can't wait to do it again.
Eolia Rich

Postby Jim » Tue May 27, 2008 12:01 pm

Your new backpacks here....get a kit for you and your son. Great fun to learn how to sew... :roll: but even better to learn how your pack goes together and the knowledge on how to fix on fly when you break things.

http://www.ray-way.com/Backpack-Kit/index.htm

When your done, we can discuss ultralight stoves, tarps, quilts, etc....25lbs is so much better than 40+
Jim

Postby aroth87 » Tue May 27, 2008 2:44 pm

15 lbs is even better :lol:.

If you haven't already done so, make a list of everything you used on the trip and everything that sat unused in your pack. Consider eliminating the unused stuff (except obvious stuff like a first aid kit, etc).

I have a gearlist posted if you want to take a look at it. It was for my (canceled) 6 day trip on the OT in March. If you have any questions I love to talk gear :). Not to mention everyone else here with much more experience on the OT than I.

I'm glad you and your son found something you enjoy to do together. I loved camping with my Dad when I was in Scouts and it made us really close. Hope to see you on the trail!

Adam
aroth87

Re: Bell Mtn. to DD Parking Lot

Postby JackW » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:00 pm

Sorry you missed the turn at TC7. I adopted this section of the trail 1-1/2 years ago, and our first trip, a scouting mission on mountain bikes, saw us miss several turns from the logging roads. The trail's 7 miles from Hwy A to Hwy 32, and I think we did closer to 20 out and back because of the "spurs".

We have since made sure the turns are well-marked...some with the six signs you mention.

JackW
JackW

Return to Trip Reports