Blair Creek - Current River

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Blair Creek - Current River

Postby redarm » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:13 pm

Three of us from Ontario, Canada had a great time hiking parts of the Blair Creek and Current River sections. Started at the 6 mile trailhead and finished at the ranger station in Peck Ranch, from October 28 to October 31. Camped in the parking lot at the 6 mile trailhead, Harper Spring, Pogue Hollow, and at Indian Creek. Weather was perfect, actually a little too warm, and not a drop of rain. We found the trail in excellent condition, only two areas that could use a few more signs. The first was near Little Indian Creek where the trail makes a sharp bend to the west (the old roads here made it confusing) and the second was at Denning Hollow (somebody already mentioned this in an earlier post).
Didn’t see much wildlife which seemed odd. Only 2 squirels, one rabbit, one snake and about 6 lizards. Pretty sure we heard a bobcat one night.
What a beautiful trail through some impressive forest. Totally different bush to what we have here in Northern Ontario. We have some awesome hiking up here too…maybe some of you Missourians may someday have a chance to check it out. I know I’d like to get back down your way someday.
Thanks to everyone who maintains the trail and to John for helping in the trip planning.

Just one more thing. Can anybody explain the bright lights in the northern sky on October 30th, around 8:30 pm? We saw 4 bright lights that appeared behind a plane as it crossed the sky from west to east. Neither of us had ever seen anything like it.

Cheers

Pete
redarm

Postby jim@dianasgrove.com » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:30 pm

Pete,
I'm pleased that you all had a great hike !! I've done some hiking through Ontario but never the northern part.
The lights you saw were the local version of "Top Gun." Since this part of the Ozarks are "sparsely populated", our military uses the skies above us for their training grounds. Perhaps you heard the jets roaring through about 10 am or two pm ?? That seems to be the schedule this time of year. The night flight are done by the advanced groups who are nigh on to completing the training course. What you saw were flares being dropped during a practice dog fight. It's not all that common to see the night version. I see/hear this five or six days a week. I live about 30 minutes away from the Six Mile trail head.... I wish they would just stick to practicing on the ground.
love like there is no tomorrow,
Jim
jim@dianasgrove.com

Postby Jim » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:26 am

REDARM - Thanks for feedback on our trails...but how about a little feedback on the concert?
Jim

Postby redarm » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:09 pm

The Daredevils concert at Wildwood Springs Lodge in Steelville was excellent! Couldn't think of a better place to see them. Intimate crowd of about 230 people. The boys sounded really good. Started off with "Chicken Train"...played a good selection of songs. Only song I really wish they would have played was "You Made it Right". Ended the show with "Beauty in the River" and It'll Shine when it Shines". After 4 days of hiking thru the Ozarks it was the perfect end to the road trip.
redarm

Wildwood Lodge

Postby Big Jim Mac » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:41 pm

Great place for a concert, followed by a hike on the OT! If anyone wonders what this place is all about, see this: http://www.ruralmissouri.org/03pages/03 ... dwood.html
Big Jim Mac

Return to Trip Reports