Buffalo River

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Buffalo River

Postby n3870v » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:11 am

Not part of the OT so please don't take offense, however, these two trails should be connected somehow-someway- someday!! had a great hike, never knew this area had such great hiking and spectacular views.

Took a week off work and spent a few days doing the tourist stuff with my wife in Eureka Springs. We planned to do a short portion of the Buffalo, but after seeing the beauty of the area we should have done a lot more. We hiked from Ponca, to Kyles landing using the BRT (Buffalo River Trail) which is hiking the bluffs. This is not to be confused with the ORT (Old River Trail) which is actually hiking the river itself.

We parked at the Ponca trailhead and left the vehicle for the shuttle service (Lost Valley Canoe) to pick up and drive to Kyles landing. You need to bring two sets of car keys, they will lock your set in the car when they park it at your destination.

The fall colors were great with enough leaf loss to give you even better views. The creek hollows between the climbs were the best I have seen. It was blue skies with temps in the 60's, couldn't have asked for anything better. There was one place that tested my wife's limitations and that was on one of the bluffs narrow ledge portion with a big drop off. There were 2 climbs of 500 and 700 feet that will get your blood flowing. Several great social camping sites along this portion.

The Western BRT actually Goes from Boxley to Pruitt, about 30+ miles.

N3870V

Trail ledge views.jpg
Trail Ledge
Trail ledge views.jpg (252.64 KiB) Viewed 508 times
Attachments
Morning fog & sunrise.jpg
Morning fog & sunrise.jpg (240.12 KiB) Viewed 508 times
bottom of hollow .jpg
Bottom of hollow
bottom of hollow .jpg (237.98 KiB) Viewed 508 times
n3870v

Re: Buffalo River