Beware Ticks are really bad right now.

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Beware Ticks are really bad right now.

Postby Jim » Fri May 06, 2016 9:36 am

We passed a Southbound 100 mile hiker from Chicago at Strother Creek yesterday 5/5/16 - He and his dog were going to call it quits at Hwy J trailhead after only 50 miles due to the abundance of ticks. Seemed like he said he has been on the trail about a week and had enough of the ticks.
Jim

Re: Beware Ticks are really bad right now.

Postby Segolenekjr » Tue May 10, 2016 11:00 am

Hello,

My husband and I are planning on hiking the current river trails this weekend, would the ticks be bad there too?
Segolenekjr

Postby Jim » Tue May 10, 2016 11:11 am

Woodlands of Missouri ... ticks are everywhere. Lots of bug spray. I use BullFrog Mosquitto Coast (Deet free bug spray/sunscreen combo) does pretty good. Permetherin on your boots, pants, socks might be a good choice. Use a stick to keep to brush the weeds away as you walk.
Jim

Postby DirtRoadRunner » Wed May 11, 2016 7:47 am

At this time of year, hiking can become downright miserable due to ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, and constant spiderwebs across the trail. This year is probably worse than normal due to a very warm winter and warm spring without a lot of freezing temperatures. Pest populations will be high all year.

It is really best to stay out of the woods until September. Rather than hiking the Current River section, float the Current River instead. The water is high and you'll skip all the bugs (other than horseflies). You can do short hikes and be fine, just be ready to pick off seed ticks, bring bug spray, and don't count on enjoyable all-day hike.
DirtRoadRunner

Postby Dirtworm » Thu May 12, 2016 6:38 am

Did a short hike at Bennet Spring State Park last week and ran into a tremendous amount of ticks. It does seems like this year is beyond the normal peak season. I have to say, though, staying out of the woods until the fall is not an acceptable option :>.
Dirtworm

Return to Trip Reports