Berryman 7-7-07

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Berryman 7-7-07

Postby aroth87 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:46 am

I went and did the Berryman Trail yesterday. All of it...

I got on the trail at 7:40 AM. After getting onto the wrong trail and ending up on the section of trail I helped build to Hwy 8, I turned around and got back onto the right trail at 8:30 AM. I think the sign at the junction of the Berryman and OT needs to be a little more clear. In any case, I continued my hike. I had decided at this point to see just how much mileage I could do in one day. I had all my gear to stay out overnight but thought it would be nice to make it back to the Berryman Campground. I didn't waste much time taking pictures or breaks.
I made it to the camp with the Artesian well at 10:10. I took a 15 minute break and filled one of my water bottles. I took off again and met a group of 8 on horseback just north of the stock pond. I stepped to the side and let them pass. They were going the opposite way as me. About a half mile past that a man on a mountain bike passed me from behind. I passed another group of 4 on horseback just before I got to the Harmon Spring camp at 11:45.
I continued on and stopped around the 13 mile mark to have a bite for lunch at 12:15. A pair of people on bikes passed me while I was stopped. I got back on the trail at 12:45. I arrived at the Brazil Creek camp at 1:15. The last time I was there there were picnic tables and a latrine. I was looking forward to the picnic tables to take a nap on but there weren't any there. I found a large rock that wasn't too uncomfortable and laid down on it. I slept until about 1:45. Since I knew the remaining section of the trail was dry I chugged my remaining water and filled up both my water bottles where the road and creek cross. I was on the trail again at 1:55. It was fairly uneventful for awhile. I passed the 17 mile mark post at 2:30. I passed the group of 4 on horseback again a little after that, as well as another couple on bikes.
I was feeling good when I passed the stock pond near the 20 mile mark. I only had 4 miles left. They were the longest 4 miles I have ever hiked. Long switchbacks and mile marker posts with no numbers are what I remember. It just seemed to keep going and my legs were tiring quickly. The last mile was the worst. I could only walk a few hundred yards at a time before needing to sit down on a log and rest. I finally emerged from the woods onto the gravel road and could see the Berryman camp sign. I sat down on the picnic tables under the shelter at 5:05.
I laid down on the table for about 15 minutes. One of the couples on bikes came riding along after that. I decided after all the pain that I really didn't want to sleep on the ground that night and drove home, though not before stopping at the Berryman store for ice cream and a big bottle of water.

One of the main reasons I chose to do the Berryman was because the last time I did it I convinced myself to drop my pack weight dramatically. The last time I did it I was carrying about 35-40 lbs of stuff and had horrible blisters. This time I went out with just under 10 lbs, including 2 L of water and food, and wearing trail runners, and I didn't get any blisters. It took two full days of hiking last time, this time it was a little over 7 hours. I would say that I definitely pushed myself to the limit though. I haven't been working out but about a week so I'm not in very good shape. I'm going to need a lot more training if I'm going to try and do that 9 days in a row for my thru-hike.

Adam
aroth87

Berryman Trail

Postby Only Jack » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:08 am

Good report, could you go to the annoncements and give a rundown of the trail condition sand what work needs to be done. Under the Berryman trail Maintance Blog. Thanks
Hank Williams you wrote my life
Only Jack

Postby aroth87 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:38 pm

I thought some of you might be interested in what I carried. My Berryman gear list can be viewed here. I couldn't find a way to post it here that looked very good, so this will have to do until I figure out a better way. I thought I came in under 10 lbs, but I was a little over at 11.37 lbs with a full 2 L of water. I didn't carry more than about 1 - 1.5 L most of the time though and I lost about 9 oz after lunch. Regardless, I hardly noticed it was there most of the time.

Adam
aroth87

Postby Lightweight Bob » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:14 pm

Thanks for the gear list. I was wondering about that 10 lb pack, dropped down from 35lbs, that's a big drop.... You've got some really light gear there. Man, 4 oz for a tarp, Foster's cooking pot, torso length sleeping pad. That's pretty light stuff!

What do you use for a seat, though?
Hike slow, hike far...
Lightweight Bob

Postby Jim » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:01 pm

Nice quick trip...it seems as though you made good time up to Harmon and Brazil...I thought our slowest or seemingly longest section was Brazil to CR205...our second water drop. We camped at FS2877 so the third day seemed like a nice short morning hike.

I only wish I could get away with a 10 or 12lb pack. That would be a huge feat packing for 3. I think If I pack for a solo trip I am somewhere around 20, makes me want to check now.

Thanks for the nice words about our section. Our last trip was supposed to be just a hike...but I can't seem to just walk by those weeds or branchs that need a trim...and those dang rocks all need kicked...

I now carry in my hand a pair of fiskers trimmers and a fiskers folding saw in my pack....my other handy tool is the hiking staff...its great for a quick whip of the weeds especially those pesky sticker bushes...
Jim

Postby aroth87 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:15 am

The drop in weight has come gradually over the past year and a half. This is just the first time I've been back to Berryman since I started reducing the weight. I've done quite a few other trips as my pack has lightened.
As for a seat, I just pull out my sleeping pad when I want a more comfortable place to sit. Usually I just find a nice log or large rock to sit on when I take breaks on the trail, but in camp its nice to have a little bit more luxury (if you can call a 3.5 oz pad a luxury!).
I also have slightly heavier gear that I use most of the time. I've got an 8'x9' silnylon that I use if there is supposed to be lots of rain, a Ti mug, and a Supercat stove that is a lot more durable than the tealight. I only bring the lighter combination of gear when the weather is going to be nice and I want to go fast and far. Even with all the 'heavier' gear and some other extras, my base weight (weight before consumables) is under 9 lbs, and that is with a 3 lbs pack that still needs replacing.

Adam
aroth87

Return to Trip Reports