Barton Fen to Bell Mountain (Nov. 13-15)

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Barton Fen to Bell Mountain (Nov. 13-15)

Postby Renny » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:12 pm

First, thanks for everyone who has posted and helped me plan my first trip (unknowingly) on the Ozark Trail. Finished this one and already excited and looking forward to the time I get in the spring to head further down to the Current River Section or back to finish the Taum Sauk section.

It was really solitary for the first 23 miles until I got to the Bell Mountain area. Trail was easy to follow despite all the leaves on the ground, please don't make me relive the constant crushing of leaves for this entire trip! I do like my established campsites and after seeing one at Henderson Creek early on in the trip, I had to huff it to Panther Branch before I found another one, and just in time due to the lack of light. Boy it was cold, got some nice picks of all the frost from my own condensation, and then found the established site I would have preferred at Peter Cave Hollow.

All in all I really enjoyed the early morning sections of trail that I encountered near Barton Fen (first 5-6 miles) and the next day from Panther Branch to some of the highways. Could be it was just that I like early starts and the early morning sunshine! The Bell Mountain area was all it was cracked up to be and I enjoyed it thoroughly up there, despite encountering the crowds in the area. It nice that we could all spread out along that area.

I've attached some of my pictures before, thankful for my first 30 miler and my first trip to the Ozarks!

New to this, but here (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B4Z77 ... wQRPQS8-Y0) is the journal of my travels (St. Louis included)

Here's some of the pics:

(1) My first "Hollow" Image
(2) My first "Frost" Image
(3) Panther Branch Image
(4) Bell Mountain Spot Image
(5) Reading at sunrise Image
(6) Coup De Grace Image

Having a hard time getting links to work (any advice?), though pictures are linked into my journal.

Renny
Renny

Re: Barton Fen to Bell Mountain (Nov. 13-15)

Postby mike » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:37 am

Great trip report, thanks for sharing.

Mike
mike

Postby n3870v » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:42 pm

Nice photos and write up.

I have done this particular section twice, but both times went in the opposite dircetion, mostly because I enjoy finishing up my trips with a great lunch at the Bixby country store at Barton Fen. I used the established camps at Peter cave holow the first night and Wolfpen hollow the second night. Always had water at each location at different times of the year.

Bell Mountain is usually crowded and I try to only spend the night up there on a weekday to avoid the crowds - But what a great view and camp site at the top!

N3870V
n3870v

Postby Renny » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:26 pm

Thanks for the comments. I was wondering if anyone had any other trip ideas. I'm planning on going back this March and have heard a little bit about the river section and the Taum Sauk area, as well as Hwy 21 to Hwy A. Look forward to hearing ideas.
Renny

Return to Trip Reports