Berryman Trail June 30-July3

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Berryman Trail June 30-July3

Postby Jim » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:12 pm

We postponed our long trip due to some schedule conflicts...so we picked up a couple days to hike the Berryman.

The trail is lookin good. Could use a weed eater in several places...and harmon springs needs a re-route...its a soppy muddy mess...but still passable.

Rain - Saturday night to Midday Sunday....then cloudy
Mon/Tues...sunny and nice to be on the trail.

I trimmed branches...and moved some downed trees..and kicked the heck out of rocks. Call it a semi maint trip....There are 2 major trees over the trail...1 about a mile CCW from Berryman CG and another I beleive is north of CR 205 somewhere before Brazil....its hard to say where...since the only map I had was from Gorc...so we where lost after Harmon...LOL ( I have anew map now that we have been to the Ranger office in Potosi....'Thanks guys!!! I appreaciate the help.)

I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story....follow the link. http://picasaweb.google.com/Davis437/BerrymanHikeJuly2007

Oh yes...and Sydney said a new word..."Hot"! She kept hearing me say that everytime I tried to boil water an burnt my self...
Jim

Postby aroth87 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:25 pm

Great to hear Jim. I was planning on hiking Berryman this weekend and was wondering how it was looking. The last time I hiked it was after a huge rain and it was in pretty rough shape. Can't wait to get out and hike, its been over a month since the last time I was out. Looks like its going to be a hot one for me though...
Too bad you couldn't get out and do your long trip but it looks like you had a good time anyway.

Adam

PS- If anyone knows of a good place online to pick up a decent map of the Berryman I would really appreciate it. I haven't been able to find anything really good yet. I am going to stop by the Forest Service office here in Rolla and see what they have though.
aroth87

Berryman Trail

Postby Only Jack » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:19 pm

send me your E-Mail address and I can send you one. It's from the 60's but the trail hasnt been moved. Not as much horse traffic now
Hank Williams you wrote my life
Only Jack

Berryman Trail Update

Postby Only Jack » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:46 pm

You can pick up a topo for the Shirley Quanrangle at
Mid Continent Mapping Service-NCIC
U.S. Geological Survey
1400 Independence Rd.
Rolla, MO 65401

They also use to be available at the Campus Book store and the MO Dept of Natural Resources Div of Gelogy and Land Survey 111 Fairgrounds Rd Bucehhler Park, MO
I think the price now is $9.00
Hank Williams you wrote my life
Only Jack

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:10 am

Check out the Forest Service office in Potosi. Its not far from the Berryman TH maybe 10 miles or so...but I guess you would need to be there during the week...not sure of hours of operation. $9 will get you a very nice topo of the Berryman quadrangle... Its big, but cut it into sections and laminate with the self sticking laminate. (Walmart or Officemax)

Tip - I printed all of the OT maps and I have laminated a couple sections so far. At our pace we hike about one page a day...so if you print on both sides just flip it for day 2 and keep the rest in the bag...or you could buy the waterproof map paper...
Jim

Return to Trip Reports