Lindsey Mountain

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Lindsey Mountain

Postby n3870v » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:17 am

Lindsey Mountain sits across from Bell Mountain and is actually part of the Bell Mountain Wilderness. My trip was based on a previous forum post by Mike. My plan was to pack down to "Shut In Creek" find the cave and spend the night at a primitive camp site that Mike described in his trip report.

Since I was by myself, and had a full back, I didnt want to bushwack down Bell Mountain - way to steep. So I bushwacked down Lindsey Mountain. I started at the Lindsey Mountain trailhead and after about half a mile, then headed West off trail to intercept the northern most point of Shut In Creek boundry for the Wilderness area. I was a little to far north and just ended up walking the barbed wire fence that separated the private property from the Wilderness area till I hit the creek.

I headed downstream and after about a half a mile, I found the cave, and right across the creek from the cave was the camp site. Very interesting cave. Even though Sept and Oct were dry, there was still about 6-8 inches of water in the cave. I was able to go back about 100 feet to where it made a left turn, from there you ran out of things to walk on to keep your feet dry. My light just shone blackness, I couldnt tell how far it kept going. The cave is completely hard rock, no dirt walls. It is hard to tell if this is natural or man made. If man made, it lacks drill marks or any type of indication that it was carved out. If all that rock was cut out, where did it all go? There are no piles of it located outside of the cave. But yet it has a near pefect consistent dimension to it as far as one can see. I would like to go back with some knee high boots and really check it out. If anyone has explored it or knows its history, please share.

The trip also allowed me to check out my new sleeping pad for my hammock. Its has a R value of 5.9 and I wanted to try it in cooler temps. Well it worked great, no "cold butt syndrome".

N3870v
Shut In Creek.jpg
Shut In Creek
Shut In Creek.jpg (198.82 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
Attachments
Cave.jpg
Cave
Cave.jpg (183.3 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
Bell Mountain .jpg
Bell Mountain view from Lindsey Mountain
Bell Mountain .jpg (232 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
n3870v

Re: Lindsey Mountain

Postby n3870v » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:27 am

Another interesting observation -

The Lindsey Mountain trail in the beginning has a interesting shape to it. For about the first mile it is a about a 15-20 foot wide raised area that slopes off on the sides. It gives the appearance of a railroad bed. You can see that this area has less growth on it than the surrounding forest. I searched but cannot find any history of the Mountain. Anyone know any history of this area?

N3870V
Trail.jpg
Trail
Trail.jpg (163.61 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
n3870v

Postby mike » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:01 am

Sounds like an interesting adventure. I have searched for information about the history of the area too and came up with very little. I think it was DirtRoadRunner that said the cave was actually an old mine shaft and from the way it looks I would tend to agree with him but is is odd there are no visible drill marks, least wise I didn't see any.

The picture of the trail is interesting too. I have some old maps I'll check to see if they show anything.

Thanks for sharing,
Mike
mike

Postby mike » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:44 pm

Below is a quote from a guidebook I found on the Missouri Geologists website http://www.missourigeologists.org/Meeting2009/AMGguidebook2009.pdf so it is likely the cave on Shut-In Creek is actually a man made shaft. This document is pretty interesting and is actually a "tour" guide book of the geological features of the area. I knew there were mines in the area but I had no idea there where as many as there are.

From page 25 paragraph two:
City Limits of Belleview. Bell Mountain Wilderness area is southwest of here and west of County Road O. Igneous units mapped in the Bell Mountain area include the Bell Mountain and Lindsey Mountain rhyolites.(Pratt et al, 1979) Pillow remnants and “thunder eggs” are generally associated with the stratigraphic center of the Bell Mountain rhyolite. Although Bell Mountain is designated a wilderness area, the remnants of several small mines in the rhyolites can be found near and within the borders of this section of National Forest.

Mike
mike

Postby n3870v » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:12 pm

That's funny! I found that same article when I was searching for information, only I stopped reading after about page 10. You have better patience than I do.

If you noticed, there were remnants of a trail/road right next to the camp site across from the mine. The GPS I have lists it as an old abandoned jeep trail, but it only ran North/South and followed the creek. It does not go up the mountain.

Must assume that originally, that is how they made it in and out of the creek area while mining.

Still, I am curious about the trail appearance at the top of Lindsey Mountain. There obviously was some type of road/rail or whatever that was originally there.

Thanks for the info - N3870V
n3870v

Postby DirtRoadRunner » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:28 pm

Great post and a great area - Shut In Creek, and the view heading down, have to be in the top 5 pretties places in Missouri.

Regarding the cave, it is definitely a abandoned mine prospect. Caves are nonexistent in the igneous rocks of the St. Francois mountains because the bedrock is almost insoluble in water, compared to the widespread caves in Missouri's dolomite and limestone, which are water-soluble rocks, created by millions of years of groundwater flow and associated dissolving of the rocks.

If you examine the rocks directly around the mine prospect, note that there is a huge swarm of wide (6+") quartz and feldspar veins filling up the rhyolite (they are white-grey compared to the purple rhyolite). These veins were emplaced in the rhyolite some time after it had cooled. The mine seems to have been sunk along these veins, likely looking for precious metals (tungsten, silver, maybe even gold) that sometimes can be found along these intruded veins (like at Silver Mines). They didn't find anything after the digging (the shaft goes back about 100 ft before ending), so it was abandoned. Since there aren't any drill marks, it was probably drilled/blasted by hand, and the spoils were probably dumped in the creek. I'm guessing this was 100+ years ago, so all the spoils have been washed far downstream by now.

Regarding the road on top of Lindsey Mountain, the area wasn't a wilderness until ~1980 I believe, and had old roads built along it (perhaps county, forest service, logging, etc). These were just closed off after the area was designated a Wildnress, but the old road grades still remain there. Most of Missouri's other wildernesses - including Devil's Backbone, Rock Pile Mountain, and especially Hercules Glade - are criss-crossed with old roadbeds. These modern "wildernesses" haven't always been a wilderness, and folks liked on them until for Forest Service buyouts back in the 1930's. Some signs of civilization still remain.

- DirtRoadRunner, not quite a geologist.
DirtRoadRunner

Return to Trip Reports