Buford Mountain

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Buford Mountain

Postby n3870v » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:45 pm

Valley view.jpg
Valley View
Valley view.jpg (54.03 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
This is not part of the Ozark Trail system and I hope no one takes offense to this trip posting. Buford Mountain is the second highest point in Missouri, right behind Tom Saulk.

My wife and I spent this past cool weekend on top of Buford Mountain and had a great time. This hike and view from the top is very comparable to Bell Mountain, but with much greater solitude. The view is just as great if not better. In addition to the distant mountains (including Bell Mountain) you get to view the valley below. Buford Mountain offers several glade areas, including a large glade area called Bald Knob about 2 miles from the peak of Buford Mountain. This is where we spent the night. The glade is very large and offers good hiking and exploration.

The weather was breezy/windy and cool, with the night offering up the same. The morning found us in the clouds, with the wind blowing the water vapor right up and over the trees and boulders, a great visual experience to see. We kept a fire going most of the time which made the ambiance even better. The Missouri dept of Conservation has installed a steel ring fire pit in an area that they request you make camp. They prefer that you do not camp in the environmental sensitive glade area.

I would rate this hike as easy (my wife says moderate). The first mile is all up hill, but not steep. The only problem is the first mile going up the trail is almost all rock. Small, medium, large and loose! You need to be very observant where you put you foot because of all the loose rocks. Rolling your ankle would be very easy the first part of this trail, especially if carrying a large pack. It is a typical Missouri hardwood forest, but the best feature are the glade areas. Carry all the water you will need unless you like filtering from animal watering ponds.

If you like solitude this hike is for you. Colors are already starting to change and this is the best time of year to hike in Missouri

Thanks for reading - N3870V
Attachments
Changing colors.jpg
Changing colors
Changing colors.jpg (105.58 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
Morning fog.jpg
Morning fog
Morning fog.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
n3870v

Re: Buford Mountain

Postby DirtRoadRunner » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:12 am

Great pics, and a great conservation area. Usage at Buford is light at most, and the trail really is very rocky. The loop also continues off the east side of the mountain, though it isn't particularly scenic and includes a lot of leaf-covered loose rocks. I love the views from the big glade on it.

A couple of corrections though - the second highest point in Missouri is actually a small hill near Seymour (El. ~1760 ft), the third highest is Lead Hill near Cedar Gap (El. ~1744), and the Buford comes in at No. 4, I believe. These other high spots are probably 150 miles from the St. Francios mountains, and nowhere near as scenic.
DirtRoadRunner

Re: Buford Mountain

Postby mike » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:43 am

Looks like a place I need to check out. Thanks for sharing!

Mike
mike

Return to Trip Reports